North Carolina and the World University Games

Interestingly enough, isn’t it primarily American universities that are obsessed with sports associated with their institutions? I hear all the time from people who attended universities in other countries that campus tied sport teams aren’t really a thing.

1 Like

That’s absolutely correct. The United States is the only country in the world that has chosen to merge the business of higher education with the business of minor league sports. Occasionally you’ll get something quirky like the hugely passionate rowing rivalry between Oxford and Cambridge in England, but they’re few and far between anywhere else in the world. (But competitors at the WUG represent their country, not their university.)

4 Likes

I wonder how athletes from other countries perceive this. Do they think that the branding of event as “university games” to be odd?

1 Like

Well, the FISU has been around since 1945 and was founded by Europeans, so I don’t think that aspect itself is odd. At that time, there was still at a lot of classism in international sport, so I don’t know how much of this reflects a sense of attracting the “right kind” of young man (and it would have been all men at that time).

And it’s not at all unusual for universities in other countries to have sporting clubs for students, or that these would be breeding grounds for future Olympians. But the idea that UNC’s team is going to play NC State’s team, and lots of people are going to watch the game and care deeply who wins, that’s a distinctly American phenomenon.

4 Likes

I used to care, and hope to care in the future, but my team sucks right now. :wolf:

2 Likes

At least we got a top 5 women’s basketball team crushing it right now and a baseball team ranked high in the preseason rankings about to start!

9 Likes

To @daviddonovan’s point, though, it’ll be okay. No matter if State (or Carolina or Duke or whoever you root for) is sucking, we’d all be rooting for Team USA in 2027. In person in our backyards, hopefully.

1 Like

Hmm that’s what is always unique about us not everything is in Raleigh, personally, I wish it was all around NC State, but that my opinion in 1999 Raleigh hosted the special Olympics. Most of the events were in Durham and Chapel Hill maybe GOTriangle should speed up the commuter rail. Of that’s probably not gonna happen unless they realize an event like this is coming. However, there probably needs to be an Olympic park lie in Atlanta maybe it could be at Dix Park.

So I had this thought at 4am on a Saturday morning because I’m up all night like a kid, I’m single and currently in college and I have no class right now as I finished my English class early, and due to scheduling and class availability my next wake tech class won’t start till March later in the semester. So I wondered with the 2027 World University Games could there be a terrorist the last major Olympic event in America was Atlanta well Salt Lake if you count that. What if there was Something bad like there was in 1996 Atlanta Olympic Games. What if so Warning: I’m not tryna wake up the NIMBYs who will use my impossible scenario and highly unlikely one as a defense to go against the World University Games here in Raleigh. But if there were a bomb what if there was what will happen well this would happen.

Taken from my IPad. The scope of the damage using the NukeMap connection the bomb place at the historic state Capitol where they do the electoral college count I place it there as the epicenter. Downtown Raleigh will exhilarated in fact all of it will. The city population would be wiped out and radioactivity would be seen for miles through all of the southeast even as far west as Canada. So I placed a flag and put some angles. You decide and do you think is Raleigh prepared for this.

I would suggest that we not include this as part of our formal bid package.

10 Likes

I didn’t say it should be. Lol :joy::joy::joy::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I would suggest laying off the whacky tobaccy.

2 Likes

I actually came across this Nuke Map recently and did the same exercise of seeing how nuclear bombs of different sizes would affect Raleigh.

The good news is if you live in like Knightdale or Rocky Mount you’d probably survive the initial blast. But then society would collapse and then things get ugly.

But as @GucciLittlePig said it’s probably better not to include this analysis in a competitive bid. Unless things look worse for our competitor.

2 Likes

That actually wasn’t me, but I agreed lol!!

But yeah I guess actually we’re probably in better shape from nukes than S. Korea…

7 Likes

I think we have the edge on this one. We don’t have an unstable dictator with nukes and a napoleon complex in Charlotte vowing to destroy us. Nice work @Yimbyforlife.

3 Likes

Oops wrong guy lol. More chars

2 Likes

Well, it’s a start!

7 Likes

I was on LinkedIn the other day and saw a rep from Greensboro saying that they were a finalist for the 2027 games. Is it some kind of split bid or were they just wrong.

Greensboro joined the bid with the Triangle.

3 Likes

I think Greensboro may be needed for the pool? I know TAC is an option but GAC has more seating, and hosts larger swimming events.

1 Like