North Carolina Freedom Park

They conducted an archaeological dig last week. Kind of odd timing… if anything significant were to have been found, it would’ve thrown the entire project off.

In any case, construction is expected to start this week.

12 Likes

Came in today on Instagram:

Did you hear the news?! Holt Brothers Construction was chosen to build @ncfreedompark This exciting project will be located on the corner of Wilmington and Lane streets in downtown Raleigh. Designed by the late Phil Freelon, the park will honor the contributions of Black and African American citizens and will recognize and come to terms with North Carolina’s history of racism and oppression. Work begins soon and the park will open in 2022. “Since our inception, we’ve worked to create a growing company that puts our community first,” said Terrence Holt, President of Holt Brothers Construction. “North Carolina Freedom Park is not only a legacy project that affirms the mission and values of Holt Brothers Construction, but is a symbol of accomplishment and freedom that will be celebrated for generations to come.” We are honored.

16 Likes

Awesome - I just hope they keep the weird brutalist concrete gazebo thing. I love that thing.

1 Like

Long time lurker, first time poster!

Construction fencing is up, and some guys in a white pickup were walking around the site yesterday - looks like things are starting to happen for real.

23 Likes

Great first post! Breaking news by our feet on the street is always welcome around these parts!

8 Likes

Thanks and welcome to posting @oakcityyimby
Indeed, nothing says the state is “fixing to get ready to start” something like men in white pick ups walking around!

5 Likes

Some old study models in our office from earlier in the design process. Very excited to see this built!

18 Likes

Do you know what the plans are for that brutalist concrete gazebo thing? I hope they don’t just crumble it…

1 Like

I am really excited to see this become a reality. I am not thrilled by the spot, which always seemed an out of the way place. But it is a net positive for sure.

2 Likes

Just asked, and there was no interest to move it as of a couple years ago. Think it’s a goner.

12 Likes

Second picture is the brutalist concrete gazebo/structure I love so much. I’m gonna be upset to see it gone. It’s just so… bizarre

6 Likes

Huge update!

They added mesh screening around the fence

18 Likes

A sad question to have to ask, but will all of those beautiful mature trees :evergreen_tree: :deciduous_tree: be coming down?

3 Likes

I certainly hope not…

3 Likes

They are in the rendering so I doubt it.

Nope. And the trees are central to the architectural concept.

10 Likes

They’ve been doing a whole bunch of underground electrical (I think) work around the entire State Archives/Freedom Park block this month.

Burying the remaining power lines perhaps? Or installing new network capacity? No idea.

1 Like

Workmen and equipment onsite this morning. It might be happening-happening.

11 Likes

Mortality beckons for the gazebo

9 Likes