North Carolina Freedom Park

I love that bizarre brutalist… thing. Hope it gets moved somewhere if not saved for this park!

1 Like

It doesn’t look so brutalist sitting in isolation there. It actually has a classic appearance, at least to me. I am with you, I hope its moved.

They started pulling up the paved paths this week

25 Likes

Looks like all the paving and vegetation except for the trees and gazebo has been scraped down to the dirt.

17 Likes

RIP gazebo. Forever in our hearts.

18 Likes

NOOOOOOOO!!! Was it moved?? Or just destroyed???

1 Like

It’s gone. The pile of rubble in front of the excavator is the remains. There’s some big relatively intact circular pieces sticking out of the pile - if they’re still around this evening and it’s not too rainy I’ll grab a picture.

Tree trimmers are out in force today removing the lower branches of the remaining trees and generally clearing out excess growth all around.

4 Likes

15 Likes

Digging out the sunken trails.

Can’t have more than three consecutive replies, so this weekend’s update is a late late edit:

16 Likes

Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

I’ll throw in my pics from a walk to the site yesterday.

28 Likes

Big day for dump trucks - there’s three over there this morning

14 Likes

Gotta love a good Monday morning dump

dig dig dig

19 Likes

I went to the Freelon exhibit at NCMA last weekend and this park was included in the materials. Should be a very nice addition to the fabric of downtown. Looking forward to seeing the sculpture at the center.

8 Likes

It will be beautiful, just hope the state sells off those UGLY ass concrete boxes that surround it ASAP so we can get some residential and retail in this area.

3 Likes

The Bath Building and State Archives main building are both pretty cool examples of government modernism imo (though, ironically, the Bath Building could use a good cleaning).

There’s two issues with the location in my mind - one is that it faces the rear of the State Archives, and it’s a building with a purely functional backside. Doing something with it so it engages with the park would be great, or they could at least plant some big trees to screen that windowless bulk.

The second is that I agree with you on the Archives annex: it’s the worst kind of cheap, unfriendly Brutalist dreck and should get replaced.

9 Likes

Heh heh heh…
:peach:

(Sorry, I’ll be going now.)

3 Likes

There’s a few of these giant concrete blocks scattered around the site. Anyone know their use?

6 Likes