Olde East Neighborhood

Yeah, I remember from the LOHA lecture that it was designed modularly to be either 2 units or 8 depending on market conditions. I’m just surprised I haven’t seen any marketing on it as it nears completion. Curious what kind of price they’ll go for, or if they plan to rent them as apartments. If it’s just a duplex I imagine they’ll be marketed as condos/townhomes.

1 Like

Just wanted to bump the new photos posted on the Steel Projects Instagram in regards to the Vanguard Church. Still do not know what the developers’ purpose is but the renovation thus far has been intensive. I was interested to see some of the photos of the rooms aside from the nave. I’m not sure if keeping the sanctuary in place suggests the possibility that it remains a church?

It looks like Ben Steele has assembled a collection of 5 properties on the block with the intention to restore.

2 Likes

"The City currently owns eight parcels around Bloodworth and Cabarrus Streets. These properties are located at 414, 416 E Cabarrus Street, 424, 428 Bloodworth Street, 504, 508, 510, 514 S East Street. The properties collectively contain Planned Development (PD), Downtown Mixed Use-3 stories-Detached (DX-3-DE), and Residential-10 (R-10) zoning. Staff presented a disposition strategy to the City Council at the June 8, 2021 work session, where staff was given the directive to begin the process of rezoning the properties. The intent of the rezoning is to increase the number of allowable units that could be constructed for the purpose of creating more affordable housing.

City Council may authorize a rezoning request for the property. If authorized, staff would initiate the pre-application requirements and prepare a rezoning application. Staff envisions Downtown Mixed Use - 3 stories Detached (DX-3-DE) and Residential Mixed Use - 3 Stories Urban Limited (RX-3-UL) for the properties. This would be a city-initiated general use rezoning request. Staff would conduct a neighborhood meeting and solicit feedback on the Rezoning Portal. The rezoning request would be reviewed by the Planning Commission and ultimately delivered to the City Council to conduct a public hearing. If authorized, staff anticipates filing the request in November with delivery to the Planning Commission by January 2022."

13 Likes

Thank you for posting. The four lots adjacent to the S. East Street parcels got rezoned earlier and I saw the asking price is about 3 million for the half acre parcel. (I think). It’s not sold yet from what I can tell but the plan for that parcel was 10 to 12 three story townhouse structures with parking in the back and access from E. Cabarrus. The market rate was targeted around 650 to 700k. That was earlier and likely higher now. I guess since the city already owns the land they can build without land cost but its hard to see how this can be "affordable. "

1 Like

Anyone have any updates on 554 E. Hargett? It appears the Treasuring Christ Church has moved and a big dumpster has arrived.

According to iMaps - the properity is owned by a LLC from California.

There was a rezoning request last year for this property, but I’m not sure if that passed.

Thanks, I wonder what happened to the plan to put townhouses on 548 E. Hargett. The house at 216 S. Swain has been empty for several months. The rezoning doesn’t appear to have passed, these three parcels are still zone R-10.

1 Like

I was out on my morning sanity walk and went by the corner of Hargett and Swain, saw a demo crew, and asked about the site. I was told the house, on Swain, and the old church on Hargett are coming down and apartments will be built on the three parcel site.

3 Likes

These lots (minus the corner playground)?

The playground is part of the original church (old YWCA) property. The other lots are 548 Hargett and 216 Swain.

Edit: corrected the street numbers for the lots.

3 Likes

Interesting. While talks of a rezoning took place, we never saw a request go in. It’s still R-10. I’m under the impression you can’t do apartments at that low a zoning level. :thinking:

Interesting, indeed. I have been unable to find a rezone case for these lots. Below are the cases I found.

Could be some missing middle that is technically an “apartment” which is now allowed. Like a triplex being rented is technically an apartment lol. But, I am guessing the person tearing down stuff is not the total expert on what is going to be built.

I did feel like there was a change where small apartments could be built in R10 as part of the missing middle stuff, but that would be like a 10 unit or smaller which is technically an apartment.

Saw the sad hole in the ground today. Anyone know if it’ll get back going soon?

1 Like

Wondering about it too. Went by to Benchwarmer’s this week and was like, either shit or get off the pot. Permanent non construction site like the Lynde looks awful.

1 Like

Yup, unfortunately my primary view everyday

10 Likes

I wonder when they are going to build the townhomes across the street from you.

Grocery-general store type concept is planned not townhomes if you are referring to the vacant spot in the photo. Not familiar of any townhome plans nearby.

2 Likes

On the bright side, you have a really cool place with a nice location.

2 Likes

Funny, I never go to the food hall, it’s too close. Feel like I’m not going anywhere so I get in my car and drive somewhere further away to eat. I hope some of these vacant lots will get developed between me and downtown. Still a little sparse feeling on this side of downtown .

2 Likes