Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

People will drive whatever speed they feel comfortable driving regardless of the posted limit. Enforcement helps, but the design of the roadway has a greater effect on slowing people down (or failing to do so).

2 Likes

The design of a road is much better predictor of actual speed than any speed limit sign. I am trying to remember if the lane widths were changed from the existing stretch of Capital or not. If we want slower speeds, narrowing the lanes match the preferred speed is a good first step.

2 Likes

I think the bigger issue with the turn is how it affects the flow of traffic. If the number of cars exiting there is similar to how it was with the old Peace st exit, then that 3rd lane will become a de facto turn lane, and all the straight traffic will jam into the other 2 lanes, essentially making Capital blvd a 2 lane road until past that turn because nobody going straight is going to want to be backed up in a lane full of cars coming to near stop to turn. It just seems like it makes an unnecessary traffic clog situation.

2 Likes

The final design is a turn lane, the street goes from 4 to 3 lanes at Johnson. At least according to this site:

Iā€™m not really sure what that means for the right turn from Johnson though, that kinda dumps onto Capital.

2 Likes

Yep. I made the still and posted it some time ago on the Raleigh DLA site.

Technically, it only becomes 4 lanes in order for it to become a long turn lane.

1 Like

Time for an updateā€¦

• main bldg roof in progress
  • roofing materials loaded to the top
  • parapet wall started (I think ā€¦ upper rightā€¦seems early in the process)
  • parking deck topped out at 7 levels
14 Likes

How are they going to deal with the oppressive south facade of that parking deck as it faces the extension of Johnson Street? My guess is that they wonā€™t do much.

1 Like

Good news @John. The orange has been painted a royal blue. Couldnā€™t get a pic, but the orange is no more.

4 Likes

wonderful news! hopefully it stays that way.

1 Like

I used to live at The Cotton Mill. Iā€™m very familiar.

1 Like

Your shot lets us see the crane up for Tower 4 in the distant North Hillsā€¦

6 Likes

Itā€™s Kane. His phase 2 will look directly at it. Bet it gets a decent facade.

2 Likes

As in a fake urban facade? I hope not. Iā€™d rather just look at the garage.

Finds (the little brick building with the cool mural) just shared that they are officially moved out. Looking to see that building demolished soon, the last of the buildings that needed to go to make way for Phase 2.

1 Like

Good angle showing the growth of this area. Metropolitan apartments in the foreground and Smokey hollow(Peace&West) in the background

19 Likes

Driving into downtown today!

17 Likes

That is one big gray brick.

2 Likes

Kane loves his borg cubes.

2 Likes

Next time you construct a building, you should add colored dye to your concrete.

2 Likes