Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

To your point, dyed concrete is surprisingly expensive and difficult to execute without messing up the blend somewhere along the installation.

1 Like

Especially black dye. It’s the same used for car tires.

I think he was being sarcastic :thinking:

2 Likes

Lol thank you! My point was that it’s a concrete apartment building under construction. What’s it supposed to be, a gold cylinder?

3 Likes

Too soft. Platinum is preferred. :money_mouth_face:

2 Likes

I was enforcing the sarcasm by explaining that dyed concrete is exorbitant/impractical.

1 Like

:smiley:

thank you! lol

That’s not even concrete though lol. Looks like it’s sheathing?

1 Like

That lower level east side facade sure has the potential to be a lot uglier than the renders would suggest. The distance from the grade level to that overhead canopy looks taller than the renders, and the thickness of the canopy looks thinner than in the renders. I sure how that this doesn’t remain as ugly as it does now. Are these the Publix loading zones?

1 Like

Right…I think it’s either some sort of fiber cement board to be painted, or a duroc type sheathing to apply a cladding system on top of, I hope! I know Hardie boards are yellow prior to being primed/painted.

I was going to chime in that the concrete would be dyed with the blood of my enemies but didn’t want to be reported for murder.

5 Likes

Actually, looking again, you can see the sheathing in purple and the insulation in yellow, and it looks like the gray is going on top of that. It’s definitely not cladding… even if it was fiber cement board, they would probably be using it as a rainscreen, so there would be an air gap and a clip system.

I was wondering if it’s one of those all-in-one panels that has vapor barrier, sheathing, and insulation all in one, and maybe they’re only using it in some places and not others. -shrug- this is beyond my level of experience lol

2 Likes

I am going to give it some time to fill in before I make judgment on how good it looks. Making sausage isn’t always pretty. And, I have faith in John Kane.

4 Likes

Yellow is the air barrier membrane. The grey might be a second coat application for a stucco finish or maybe a different type of air barrier membrane?

Looks like insulation and metal panels still to be installed per the elevations…

7 Likes

Ah, it’s so hard to tell! You’re probably right that it’s just another kind of vapor barrier then. Maybe the grey is spray-applied? Y’all are just making me realize I’m in desperate need of CA experience… too much time designing and drawing these assemblies; not enough actually seeing them go together :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes it’s obviously being sprayed on and is not the final finish. You can tell if you look at the webcam or (gasp) walk by. Just for fun, here’s the other side from Raleigh Beer Garden’s rooftop deck.

9 Likes

I drove by Smokey Hollow during lunch today and noticed that they have put up a “US flag”. In my opinion its the “other” top out option for the last floor to be completed, I believe? Unfortunately, I was not able to get a photo, as I would sure have been killed trying. Sad :cry:

1 Like

I’m staring right at the bldg but can’t find the flag.

while looking for web cam ran across this picture from Smokey Hollow, pre downtown Blvd but has ball park.

11 Likes

FYI, attended the CAC meeting tonight where Kane representatives asked for a public vote regarding the rezoning request of Phase 3 to DX-40-SH-CU. We (West Condos) had a good showing though our voting wasn’t one sided. The vote was 9 to 5 in approval of the request. The vote will get passed on to the City Council as a metric for their decision. There’s another public meeting March 26 at 9a at the Municipal Building on Hargett to contribute this decision.

9 Likes