Smoky Hollow Phases 1, 2, and 3

I wonder what that little triangular retail building in the SE corner will end up with…

On that topic- aside from that triangle shaped spot and the Publix, how many other retail spaces are planned for this project? Do we know?

Looking over the preliminary site plan (which I assume is what was approved) there is only the Publix space and the triangular free standing building at 2750 sqft.

My guess: Starbucks:

1. Average square footage of freestanding store is 2100.
  2. Apparently Mr Kane likes Starbucks (I believe there are three at North Hills).

Just a guess.

1 Like

Starbucks, man NO, one up the road, ENOUGH OF THEIR AWFUL COFFEE.
Put in a Dunkin, Caribou, Tim Horton’s, anything but a pathetic overpriced bitter Starbucks.

1 Like

Don’t care what Kane likes, enough Starbucks Kane, buy your K-Cups and drink that overpriced garbage at home.

Just making a guess, not a wish :grin:. In other news, I see soil samples being taken from one of Kane’s properties adjacent to his Peace project (the former West Sales Center on Harrington).

1 Like

My guess is that more retail comes with the subsequent phases. Grocers are anchors that usually entice more retail to sign up.

1 Like

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/local/article219134075.html

1 Like

Good to be reminded of the overall project. It’s been a good while since I’ve seen that video!
As for the temporary traffic patterns, it’s going to be a nightmare.

I’m going with something along the lines of institutional office, like a dentist, urgent care or maybe like a realtor’s office.

Three large backhoes (?) delivered today (in the foreground) and some other movement and placement in the area makes me predict that the former Rollins Cleaners and adjacent buildings don’t survive next week.

4 Likes

That’s certainly a possibility.

Who’s staging area is that? DOT or Kane?

That would be an absolute shame. They are so old and could certainly be built around. Why would they have kept them up this long, with everything that’s going on around them, if they were only going to destroy them anyway?

With the land value being high, it’s a foregone conclusion that these buildings will come down. It’s a matter of when, not if.

1 Like

The backhoes are sitting on Kane’s property now. But, from my observation, Kane’s contractor and the DOT have been very cooperative as these projects have developed side by side. I’m sure the cleaners and other buildings are coming down. They have done nothing whatsoever to maintain them since this project started and they are in a state of disrepair. Why they didn’t take them down with Finch’s and the other buildings remains a mystery. The backhoes may be for another purpose…just my prediction that some buildings are coming down soon.

2 Likes

My understanding was that there was some type of environmental contamination because of the cleaners. They were testing and figuring how to deal with that before they were demolished.

Also, I live off of Wade Ave and take it to and from downtown. But can’t I just take St Mary’s to Wade instead? Seems easy enough

4 Likes

I don’t see why that route wouldn’t work. From what I saw last week, Clark is only closed between Smallwood and Bellwood, and I drove St. Marys on both sides of Peace and it was unaffected. You’ll be fine.

There’s a community meeting about this project tomorrow at 6PM at the Hampton Inn&Suites on Glenwood @ Johnson. The developer will be there along with city officials to discuss the project, traffic patterns, etc.
Per the invite, light refreshments and beverages will be provided.

1 Like