Pictures and Videos of Downtown Raleigh

Here ya go!

From McDowell at Hillsborough

Zoomed in at McDowell and Edenton

These are kind of crooked b/c apparently stopping to snap a phone pic in the middle of the crosswalk made me more nervous than I thought hahaha. (Pro tip: the perpendicular crosswalk lights at the H.b & Edenton intersections don’t last very long so be careful if you’re on foot lol)

Obviously this view looks way more impressive in person than what my shitty S8 camera can give you. The best view/framing is actually in the center of the street (right & middle lanes), so getting the best shot requires use of the crosswalk or driving up McDowell. It’s so cool

25 Likes

Slogan for Raleigh

“The city that’s so great it has two downtowns”

4 Likes

Amazing what a ‘signature tower’ does to perception, right…!? This view has been present for some time but man ‘o’ man, the Walter is an attention getter…
Obviously there are other buildings worth paying attention to in these shots but that middle finger is always so, so provocative…LoLs… :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
Take a moment and imagine…a ‘Walter’ at the Nexus :triumph:

9 Likes

Progress on the AT&T building mural.

31 Likes

I like it already, I can somewhat see where this is going but I’m not sure how widespread this mural will be.

7 Likes

Hopefully down that entire side of the building (and if we’re really lucky, all the other sides as well)!

11 Likes

This is gonna be darn cool, even if they only do a portion.
But it would be awesome if they whole side gets covered.

9 Likes

Twitter says this is 25% complete!

25 Likes

That’s too high a percentage. It needs to be the whole building!

13 Likes

I saw the Raleigh Mural Project asking for volunteers to prime a wall for a new mural downtown. I’m assuming it’s the blank side of Carroll’s Kitchen? Always happy to see more murals, and nice to be able to help!

https://activategood.org/opportunity/6029

18 Likes

Raising the bar

18 Likes

That streetlight’s the tallest building in the city!

5 Likes

If only it were a crane :pensive:

2 Likes

It’s a crane of light!

I was a guest speaker at the Rotary Club this week. I hope to share the video once they post it but here’s a shot from the 29th floor of the Well Fargo tower. (where they meet) Not too bad!

27 Likes

Truly a beautiful picture! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Thank you for taking and sharing! :+1:

IMO this picture visually speaks a lot about Raleigh and in a way that I don’t think of or see as often these days. This picture doesn’t say fast-growing or busy to me, it looks more simple to me, kind of like a nice, slower paced southern city. It actually reminds me of the City of Smithfield in Johnston County NC. :thinking:

2 Likes

Picture of Raleigh from 1954:

23 Likes

I was a little kid at that time. I can see the Ambassador Theater in this photo. Now it’s a stinking parking deck.

1 Like

Great shot.
So many lost buildings, in addition to the Ambassador -
both the hotels on Nash Sq, that big bus station on Morgan, the really old Belk’s, and the old county courthouse. Also, don’t forget the much missed old First Citizen building. Thanks for the share @DavidE

3 Likes

These were taken yesterday from my terrace as those ominous clouds moved through downtown. In that second shot, it clearly looks like a funnel was trying to form. Thankfully, it dissipated quite quickly after just a few minutes of eerily calm air and lots of birds chirping like no tomorrow.
All 3 photos were taken over the course of just a few minutes.

20 Likes