Pizza in downtown Raleigh

You had to go and make me hungry, didn’t you? :yum:

Come on Sam Jones! Need more BBQ spots DT!

2 Likes

Lol I know. I’m just making a point.

Just took a proton shoulder off the smoker that’s been going since about 7:30am. Smells delicious.

1 Like

Did Pizza La Stella close?

1 Like

Was going to eat there yesterday but the doors were locked and there was no sign up. I think they had already shortened their hours recently. But yeah I was wondering the same thing…

I may walk by today but had to get a few confirmations cause I just read this from last week.

Pizza La Stella’s owner Rudy Theale has high hopes for what he’s coining ‘The Loft’ in his wood-fired restaurant.

Located on Fayetteville Street, Pizza La Stella has been around for a little more than three years. Now, it’s giving its upstairs a $60,000 makeover.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/08/30/downtown-raleigh-restaurant-revamps-upstairs.html

4 Likes

Take it for what it’s worth but I saw this also…
http://trianglefoodblog.com/?p=994

I feel like when I moved here in 2009, Fayetteville St was the booming center of downtown’s revitalization. Now when I go there in the evening it’s got almost nothing going on except the mix of vagrants and elderly people from Sir Walter. It’s like no restaurants can survive there anymore. Makes me sad.

That location is tough and further reinforces my theory that large spaces are tough to make work. Lots of turnover in larger spaces compared to smaller ones. Unless you are a chain with multiple locations, local businesses have it tougher in spots like this.

2 Likes

Nobody’s been able to make the corner space on Duke’s building fronting Fayetteville work either: La Volta => Twisted Mango => San Lorenzo => Tulum => now vacant.

Maybe the upcoming residents of FNB Tower will infuse some life into the area?

3 Likes

It has less to do with Fayettville St itself and more about increased competition from all sides (food halls, restaurants and bars on the next tier of streets over) and the businesses need to adapt. It’s not exactly “sad” as there are more people downtown than ever, there’s just more choice now as other businesses realized this. Normal business cycle will likely ensure that new ones will come to Fayettville Street (like the bowl place going in to old Chickfila spot) that will be more competitive. And there are still businesses on Fayettville that are doing just fine, Happy and Hale and lunch spots are slammed every day, Coglins/Anchor Bar/Bittersweet, etc. are often full at nightsl. So while a few like La Stella are struggling, I’d disagree that things have somehow changed for the worse on Fayettville. I also think Leo is correct that larger spaces are harder to fill in from the get go, and it’s places like Raleigh Times that grow into their spaces or ones that keep it small that seem to do well.

3 Likes

I never liked the vibe of these Fayetteville St. restaurants. They seem to cater to the bros and suburban dads of the area. They also always let InBev control their beer menu too much. Good beer is equally, if not more important, than the food in my opinion. I’m not going out to eat and drinking shit beer. Pretentious hipster, I know.

2 Likes

Don’t apologize. Sounds like my kind of drinking buddy. :wink:

That was my first reaction when I saw the menu of Wahlburger’s. Their beer selection was terrible! It’s like they don’t even pay attention to the local options and what is selling.

1 Like

Poole’side was pretty good to me. Nothing to go crazy for though.

5 Likes

I saw the line around the block on ITBInsider. Don’t get the draw…

1 Like

The proprietor is the draw.

Can we take a vote for those that have been to the non-chain pizza joints using the emojis below?

Oakwood Pizza Box :deciduous_tree:
Frank’s Pizza :it:
Poole’side Pies :woman_playing_water_polo:
Benchwarmers Bagels :bagel:
Trophy Brewing & Pizza :trophy:
The Pizza Times :timer_clock:
Slice of New York :statue_of_liberty:

I’m really curious what this community thinks

1 Like

You forgot Lily’s Pizza! That wins hands down :slight_smile: :pizza::pizza:

1 Like

I need to try and get the Benchwarmers pizza some time. Also, I VERY much enjoy Trophy’s Monday-only Detroit-style pizza.

I really like Vic’s too

4 Likes