Pizza in downtown Raleigh

It’s been brought to my attention that we don’t know the official name of AC’s new pizza place.

1. Poolside Pie
  2. Pooleside Pie
  3. Poole’side Pies

Let’s crowdsource this and get it right. Anyone have a SOLID source?

2 Likes

I mean ever since they opened the Durham store, it seemed as if the Raleigh store’s quality has decreased (IMO).

Looks like the N+O reporting recently and a FB page have it as Poole’side Pies

This coming from the Indy article, so take it with a grain of salt.
" Where does Poole’side Pies fit into the landscape?
Ashley then proceeds to say ““Poole’side” because it’s next to Poole’s”

After looking at the plans closer it appears they will be installing a large Skylight into the roof of the building.

The company they picked is Kalwall Skylighting, and looking at the shape so far appears to be triangular in shape, which might look similar to this.

Also if we are considering just outside of Downtown for Pizza. Capital Creations near Dock 1053 is extremely underrated

7 Likes

I’m a NY style pizza type of guy. My wife and I were in Rome on vacation last year and she was anxious to know what I thought of authentic pizza. I actually preferred the pizza in NY.

Yes. Big skylight.

5 Likes

Here’s some mockups of Poole’side Pies

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52dd29d1e4b0c593abb7a6ee/5be3434421c67cefa60a7d7a/5be343d7562fa737fe7927e1/1541620714823/DINING+2+-+Render.jpg?format=2500w
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/52dd29d1e4b0c593abb7a6ee/5be3434421c67cefa60a7d7a/5be343e66d2a7304b13615bd/1541620726554/PORCH+1+-+Render.jpg?format=2500w
http://www.louischerry.com/pooleside-pies

10 Likes

Swim Club vibe…hmmm…
Gonna be Bhavana loud in there.

4 Likes

Hmm…definitely not what I was expecting, but I’m sure it’ll be top notch.

They don’t have anchovies. Gotta have anchovies.

6 Likes

Solidarity with my anchovy brother. :fist:

2 Likes

I bring my own.

This space looks pretty cool. I like it!

1 Like

From IG, the wood-fired oven was dropped in to Poole’side by crane yesterday!

7 Likes

Hard to find a good pie south of Jersey.

To each their own and nostalgia plays a part but to say you can’t find good pizza outside ‘place X’ seems not so true anymore…
I’ve had good pies outside areas defined as ‘meccas’ and I’ve had pies that were serviceable but nothing to exhault from places that were touted as benchmarks. It’ll be interesting to see what Poole’side brings to bear - seems to lean Neopolitan. I think there’s good pies coming out of PizzaBox in Oakwood, Frank’s, Lilly’s ITB. I think Cristo’s and Farina are solid pies north and that Pesky Chicken from Capital Creations is bomb! Faulisi and Toro are worth a visit over to Cary or Durham respectively.

2 Likes

There are a few exceptions, but the general rules holds when it comes to pizza. Just like Barbeque sux up north.

Honestly I can put a pork tenderloin in a crock pot, pull it with 2 forks, and add a bottle of decent BBQ sauce after, and it’s better than 90% of the “amazing authentic” BBQ I’ve had down here. And I like and hate pizza I’ve had all over. It’s almost like it’s subjective! :thinking::yum:

2 Likes

Sounds like you made some nice pulled pork, but that isn’t barbeque. Barbeque requires a dry heat source, and some level of smoke. Those requirements are the constant from whole hog, to pork shoulder, ribs, brisket, or whatever other protein you would choose to cook this way. I apologize for being overly nit-picky, but this is a hill I’m willing to die on.

10 Likes

Yeah cooking pork in a crock pot is not barbecue. Might taste delicious. But it’s not barbecue.

1 Like

For those who don’t know or have never been to a pig pickin’. whole-hog-pig-pickin

4 Likes