Pizza in downtown Raleigh

Was just coming to post this! Great for her and Raleigh.

3 Likes

Here’s the full list. No other winners from NC, SC, or VA. Cheetie Kumar (Garland) and Oscar Diaz (The Cortez) were semifinalists for Best Chef:Southeast, which AC won in 2014.

4 Likes

Here is her full speach, she gives a big shout out to Raleigh as a whole and not just the food industry.

7 Likes

Interview the Indy had with Christensen a few days before she won the James Beard award.
I’m only posting this because she gives and update on when Poolside Pies will be open, she says around the end of summer August/September.

“We’re looking at our [certificate of occupancy] being sometime in August. Should be late summer—we’ll call it pre-fall.”
“I just want it to be this big, welcoming space that is unique in design. “Poole’side” because it’s next to Poole’s, but we’re going with a swim-club theme to play off that. I want this kind of snack bar vibe to it, but I want it to also be very serious in the things that we’re focusing on and the ingredients.”

2 Likes

Someone want to put these is order? I’m sure I’ve missed some but I’ve also not been to them all.

Vic’s
Mellow Mushroom
Trophy
Demos
Pizza La Stella
Pizza Times
Jimmy V’s
GiGi’s
Benny Capitale’s
Bella’s
Donatos
Oakwood Pizza Box
Dominos

1 Like

Order as in ranking them from best to worst?

1 Like

Dominos is always at the bottom of my list. Well done @Will :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Posted this on the blog and wanted to share it here. Took this shot yesterday. From memory, I always thought Poole’s and the space next door were the same size but that’s not true at all.

2 Likes

Oakwood Pizza Box at the top for me.

4 Likes

Of the ones that are on the list that I’ve been to, I’d put trophy at top.

I could rank them one day and then the next and depending on my mood, the weather whatever, my list could be completely different. There’s such a variety of styles.
(Also while not technically downtown but DTR adjacent, I’d throw Ruckus on to my list)

What about Lilly’s at five points??? That would be my vote :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very subjective with different styles and what people consider pizza. Some people consider good pizza NY Style, some the authentic Italian style, but some like what I call a junk pie, which gets loaded with an insane amount of cheese and huge toppings. We stopped trying new pizza joints around here because of so many disappointments. But I’d appreciate greatly any recommendations on places with a similar style to Pizzeria Toro in Durham.

1 Like

Oakwood Pizza box :raised_hands:

(20 characters)

2 Likes

When it comes to “fast” or “corporate” whatever you want to call it, I’m actually a huge fan of Jet’s. Their deep dish is real tasty. By the way, the location on Wake Forest delivers to DTR. :pizza:

If you order correctly at Mellow Mushroom, it’s great. “Super thin crust, cooked a little crispy”. And they have a pretty good beer selection. Shoot me, but I like it.

2 Likes

Franks…best in town IMHO

2 Likes

I love lilly’s!!!

I used to eat at Lilly’s twice a week in college with my roommates. It was easily the best pizza in Raleigh IMO.

However, ever since they opened the Durham store, it seemed like the quality started to decrease. Not so much the toppings or ingredients, but the way its cooked. They really started serving it undercooked, so you have to ask them to cook it longer if you want it done how they used to do it.

That’s interesting. I haven’t had that problem, but I’ve really only been to the original Lilly’s.