Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

So all these renderings from the last couple days seem to show a 7/8 story building, but earlier renderings and discussion seem to indicate 6/7 stories. Which is it?

Those renderings of the “Shops on Dupont” give me Atlanta vibes. Like, Inman Park, or Castleberry Hill or something.

1 Like

Reminds me of Smoky Hollow

4 Likes

This is IX-7, so unless they’re doing something with below-ground for adding a floor, this shouldn’t be more than 7 above ground.

As it should. I expect a lot of the same finishings.

4 Likes

I like how the rendering’s roof lacks the hundreds of grey A/C units that will surely cover it.

2 Likes

The site has a grade change from east to west, so I’m guessing that’s a factor.

Like an exact replica, WTF??

3 Likes

Grabbed some shots of this progress while I was out getting shots of that beautiful sunrise this morning!

ps. I was actively flying to different locations when these were taken so they may not be the most focused.

I love this shot to demonstrate the proximity to RUS and what the West St. extension under the tracks means for this area.

27 Likes

Going to look pretty cool one day soon when you de-board Amtrak and walk out to the platform and look around a several tall buildings…will almost feel like you have arrived in the middle of the city!

13 Likes

That’s such a great perspective! I just hope Kane goes for rezoning on the remaining block (and soon)!

4 Likes

FTFY :joy: !!!

8 Likes

This looks pretty decent. I wish they’d broken down the “platform” along the retail though with a few more stairs/connections to the sidewalk, so it’s not so disengaged from the street. Or, they could’ve built in planters/seating. Placing a couple of benches in front of a solid wall seems like a missed opportunity.

2 Likes

Definitely a missed opportunity considering the other commercial properties just across the street and father up Dupont. It almost feels like they’re purposely making it difficult to access those storefronts from the sidewalk, forcing entry from within the development or at one end of the block or the other. Doesn’t make sense to me.

2 Likes

I can only guess they built right up to the property line, didn’t have the room for stairs, and didn’t want to sacrifice retail sf/add cost to recess the ground level.

1 Like

I think these + the RUSBUS tower and the CAM tower hovering behind will also enhance that effect.

2 Likes

I hope they go forward with a second rezoning request and leverage it with a fat multi-multimillion dollar check towards fast tracking the West St tunnel extension. It would be a total win-win… Kane has the dough, and it would be unanimously approved.

1 Like

Here’s the view of the site from the Piedmont, if anyone’s curious.

25 Likes

Renaming the thread as we have a name for one of the buildings. I hadn’t caught that.

13 Likes

Very active job site this afternoon.

Never realized how large this plot of land was until the Clancy buildings were torn down.

27 Likes

I spy rebar!

13 Likes

I hadn’t realized this site (roughly elevation 290’) sits ~20 feet below the train tracks (310’).

2 Likes