Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

Good point, would be great if they could punch the tunnel that accesses the platform at Union Station through to this side of the tracks and connect it to Dupont Circle

7 Likes

That would be cool, but let’s get West St tunneled first pls. :grin:

6 Likes

West street is needed too, for sure, but that’s going to be very expensive/complicated.

A ped tunnel to Union Station would be comparatively trivial. They’d probably find a way to make it cost more than it should, but at least an order of magnitude less than West, I’d figure.

3 Likes

I will admit I spent an embarrassing 30 seconds trying to square my DC geography before realizing Raleigh has a relevant street named Dupont Circle.

12 Likes

West street is needed too, for sure, but that’s going to be very expensive/complicated.

Extending the existing tunnel at the station would be comparatively trivial. They’d probably find a way to make it cost more than it should, since it’d be tunneling under a mainline freight track - but even so, an order of magnitude less than West, would be a ballpark. Wouldn’t be that useful or make that much sense given the existing Amtrak service, but it would be a bigger benefit as a part of commuter rail.

1 Like

I’ve lived here for a dozen years and laughed out loud when I realized that a year or two ago!

Also, yes, West St extension needs to happen. Don’t know why digging a very short tunnel under elevated train tracks is the new Chunnel by some planners, but it should be pretty straightforward

6 Likes

Nothing earth shattering but some updated shots for historical reference.

20 Likes

Tough to get both a decent angle and decent lighting from the side of the site I was on, but this one’s busy today. Lots of stuff moving around and drilling happening on the west side of the property line.

14 Likes

You need wings to get a good shot of this site. You’re right, LOTS going on!

6 Likes

OxBlue cam…

13 Likes

Also nice retaining wall up against the tracks easement.

21 Likes

Who can be the first to find the link??? haha

2 Likes

Wow, I didn’t realize this one was this far along already! We should see vertical construction in early 22

3 Likes

Is this Zimmer construction :building_construction:

2 Likes

Nope, this is a Kane project.

1 Like

36 Likes

Can anyone confirm if that hole in the middle is for the crane base?

1 Like

Great photo, now I’m upset the 20 story building is not apart of the current plans smh, it would have really looked nice in contrast with the emerging warehouse district along with the rest of Downtown, wishing old Kane would have pushed it through.

3 Likes

99% certain…………………….

2 Likes

So then maybe a mobile crane for the modular deck erecting. They did that in SmoHo II.

1 Like