Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

There are so many different styles of windows on this thing. I guess the exterior finishes will make it make sense.

2 Likes

like many other large squatty projects that preceded this, architects and developers like to break up the bulk by material and fenestration to give the illusion that it’s a series of buildings, not just a single large one.

4 Likes

…which I tend to find more phony and BS looking than just keeping it more uniform and minimalistic.

1 Like

There certainly isn’t an authenticity in the result, rather a mimicking of an organically grown streetscape.

2 Likes

She’s mighty-mighty, just lettin’ it all hang out! :musical_note:

2 Likes

From Faye and Davie intersection.

28 Likes

That is such a dead strip…but I truly hope the hotel there helps to activate the area a bit

13 Likes

That an okay big city shot maybe Verdi spot should be a game changer there. Also that enterprise development and that rezoning of the parcels of the parking lots will be nice. Btw did those parcels by the parking lot and across the street by enterprise get approved.

The county bdlgs will always be dead weight.

They’ll never redesign them.

Yeah, a jail doesn’t activate much sidewalk activity.

2 Likes

Not just a jail. It houses the Sheriff Dept, Fire Services, EMS business office and station. People go into the building for a variety of reasons such as the very popular obtaining of gun permits, prisoner visitations and a variety of civil processes. It is currently being “refreshed” with a new lobby and skylight design recently completed along with new windows currently being installed (many were damaged from the riots and the drive by shooting).

1 Like

Still not a building that’s activating the sidewalk.

Not true. We often go there for date night. Get some more permits for our newest guns, visit all our friends in jail, and walk down the road for a nightcap.

4 Likes

I guess if you don’t count people walking in and out of the building ALL day long. I see no difference between the Public Safety Center and Wells Fargo, Truist, etc…

You should nightcap first. Nightcap as much as possible THEN go to the government building.
:crazy_face:

1 Like

Dragging this thread back on topic with a little preview of the exterior finishes now that some of the non-brick cladding is up.

Can someone explain the just perceptible enough difference in the brick on the street level vs the rest of the floors? The street level bricks are slightly larger and a different shade of “brick.” It looks like they ran out and tried to find some to match, but not quite.

21 Likes

I noticed that the other day as well, but I think it looks more intentional than “opps we ran out”. Just different texture, variations in the cladding. I’m sure we’ll get a different color brick and different materials like The Line.

8 Likes

I like variation in texture and color—especially in a building like this—but every time I see it, it makes me think “matching fail” :woozy_face:. I’m sure it will look better after that overhang gets its finishing treatment and my over-analytical brain can stop noticing the subtle difference.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. Seems they could have used a more deliberately different size/color. I’ll reserve final judgement for when it’s completed. :crossed_fingers:t3:

6 Likes