Platform and West End II - Development at W Cabarrus/S Saunders

You’re becoming a bonafide urbanist

4 Likes

I look at this and try to remember the renderings/massings Kane shared of the Planned Development and this really seems much worse. So boxy. I know they’ll put lipstick on it and it’ll be a very nice development, but it could have been so much more appealing mass-wise.

That’s what happens when a community fights tooth and nail against a rezoning request. You get build by right.

10 Likes

Amen to that @OakCityDylan

1 Like

And when you get too much build by right without consideration for your community, you then get a community that fights tooth and nail against zoning requests.
Ah, the circle of life.

8 Likes

It’s not much different besides slightly stepped floor count at Cabarrus/DuPont and switching to a residential building from office in phase 2.

The community didn’t exactly fight tooth and nail. They asked Kane for a slight change in the PD by reducing one floor closest to existing homes (in accordance with the 2030 comp plan) and adding it elsewhere in the project. Kane wasn’t willing to do that to get everything else in the PD.

I personally think that with changing market conditions, Kane realized they would make more money by just building by right. The demand for residential is way higher than office, and they’re going to have a lot more units here now than they would have with the PD.

9 Likes

What does “build by right” mean?

It means building according to current zoning for the property.

2 Likes

As opposed to requesting a change to the zoning before building?

Exactly. It’s building without having to request any changes for height, use, etc.

Got it. Thanks! Extra characters.

12 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nickelpoint on West St (the cell tower lot)

30 Likes
22 Likes

Credit to our buddy, @JByrne!

6 Likes

Thought this was an interesting angle of this is project.

24 Likes

Big bad daddy crane came this morning and took away the red crane which had been onsite. Baby crane still hanging out. Wonder where oh where the missing crane might be going next?
IMG_1406

13 Likes

Probably going to capital square construction

1 Like

Making a big impact on the view!

27 Likes

Up goes the brick…

32 Likes

But I’ve already gotten used to it being the great white whale!

1 Like