Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

I am thinking of the one in Glenwood South, not the clover Lane one.

I want to say it may come back at the first April council meeting. This is based on the comments from council before approving the motion to keep the hearing open. (see video)

I think you could get @evan.j.bost to join you. :smiley:

4 Likes

I don’t think that they are against storefronts. They just don’t want any outdoor seating. The way that I understand it, you can have a restaurant but you can’t have outdoor seating. This essentially raises the cost of doing business/reduces revenue for those establishments because you can’t expand your seating outdoors.

2 Likes

Caught this during yesterday’s council meeting. The Public Hearing for Z-87-22 will be April 4 during the evening session.

21 Likes

Davie has great street activity to the east and far west. Filling the “missing middle” along this stretch will go far to making a great walking connection to the wild west end and the easy east side.

2 Likes

So the giant stretch of surface parking + a big parking garage! Great redevelopment opportunity. I wonder what happened with the lot on that corner of Davie and Salisbury. I had thought that was the other piece (not the parking garage).

12 Likes

I agree. I would very very disappointed with anything less than 6-7 stories in this part of town.

3 Likes

Oh, I agree, Lol, I was using the term in a different way. More like filling in the middle stretch of Davie between RedHat, et al, and the RUS area.

3 Likes

I know they’re applying for 40 stories, so hopefully something AT LEAST 20 stores tall

2 Likes

Today, in Raleigh Rezoning News, we have the “Joel Lane House Shade” rezoning, or Z-60-22 up on the agenda at the Planning Commission Committee of the Whole meeting at 4pm.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=CPYJNG4DFF84

11 Likes

Anyone know how it went?

3 Likes

I don’t see a recording so we’ll have to check the minutes once they are posted.

When I went to watch, there was no meeting. Says it’s for Tuesday March 28?

1 Like

This is now at the council, planned for their meeting on Tues, Apr 4. Get your popcorn ready.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=CQCRJJ6E3AE4

3 Likes

The 4th is going to be jam packed. I believe there will also be hearings for the huge Maywood assemblage and the Johnson Street rezoning.

4 Likes

Maybe the city’s fireworks could be pulled forward to this 4th instead?

Oh lord, Liveable Raleigh’s going to be bussing people in for that one. Crotchety Boylan Heights and Forest Park residents arriving with pitchforks because they want all the convenience of living next to downtown and none of the actual downtown buildings within a half mile.

12 Likes

i remember when bishops aprk was built near wade and st marys. it appeared to add a good amount of density for the day at that area. as i recall though it didn’t intermingle with or slip in between good ol’ SFH stuff, expensive houses that certain clientele buy desiring a reasonable continuum of SFH area characteristics. as an old raleigh resident i don’t have issue with that or think them crotchety…some are valuable professionals in the area and have done good works. now i think you can hunt and peck along fairview or glenwood and other roads and see historical multi unit areas often at the beginning or end of a street that isn’t seen from many travels around town. a lot of that stuff seemed to fit right in to me. one thing i still like about my old hometown was that was the blend of green lush lots for a bit , and then golly, you hit koger center and then perhaps a section multi story units. but it seemed rather well divvied-up so to speak.

They haven’t obviously been to Philly, where historic buildings see surrounded by tall one all the time.

1 Like

I’ll be speaking April 4th.

1 Like