Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

I’m not too worried about this rezoning I think I’ll get passed. There isn’t a lot of concern here right. I’ll fill in a important gap in the skyline.

This one passed rezoning but with reduced height conditions to 10 stories / 130 ft and kept the outdoor dining ‘restrictions’ in place…

4 Likes

So, essentially St. Mary’s gets its sidewalk de-activated? F that!

4 Likes

This property across from the convention center is DX-20 ad has a request to zone to DX-40. It could’ve been passed last Tuesday, but as usual one council member is too scared about high and putting Publix benefits. Ugh! Ill feel the gap there.

https://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=A4EMF95B00BF

First south of I40/440 20 story rezoning?

18 Likes

Something to keep an eye on… 224 S Dawson is on the market. Its the original Union Station from 1890.

“Zoned DX-5-SH, but heavy precedent in the immediate area for approved 20 and 40 story zoned property”

Hopefully, the old depot portion of the site could be retained and density added on the back 60% of the lot. (kinda like how Turnbridge is doing with the Clearscapes tower)

14 Likes

What’s at stake in case anyone was confused by the white paint:

11 Likes

That feels like a no brainer to save the headhouse portion. Any historical protections on it right now?

5 Likes

Meeting on Wednesday for rezoning the Sushi Blues building and parking lot to 20 floors.

16 Likes

This is an obviously good idea for the city, but my dentist is in that building and it’d be inconvenient for me if he moved, so I’m joining Livable Raleigh and the Forest Park cranks to yell at the council members and complain about shadows and sidewalk dining infringing on my civil rights.

(am I NIMBYing right?)

4 Likes

If there are too many shadows, your teeth wouldn’t look as white.

Not only that, the buyers should restore it to its original state. I think it would be costly but very beneficial overall. It would be nice to see more restored historical landmarks intertwined into new development in downtown.

4 Likes

It’s called a condition.

1 Like

I know that characters

1 Like

I know that you know, but I’m not certain that the council knows.

1 Like

Had to fix that little bit there :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I totally agree with that.

2 Likes

Now here is a building that can be torn down with no contest - it’s not historic, not architecturally significant, and has a large footprint. I see this one as a no brainer rezoning and redevelopment.

With you in spirit, but the building looks nothing like that anymore. Does the old facade even exist within? The inside of the building doesn’t appear historic either. Not sure what there is left to save.

Get Maurer Architecture on the project! It can be done.

27 Likes