Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

Here is the current configuration today, lots of the main structure is still intact.

If you look closely you can still see the outline of the round windows:

Like @mike mentioned with the Death and Taxes building, if the incentive is there to save it, I’m sure the bones are still intact. Death and Taxes is probably one of my favorite renovations downtown, my wife did the interior, but that’s not why, mainly the exterior with how well preserved it looks.

11 Likes

This as is, is hideous. If this portion is saved it should look closer to its original design. I think I agree with Mike, there should be a partnership with Maurer Architecture to make it actually look valuable/historic again.

4 Likes

WRAL is reporting on the 40 story rezoning vote today for the block of Davie and McDowell.

I’m not sure if this is the same location from the previous hotel that was proposed.

15 Likes

Probably the rest of that lot that was recently discussed. Still holding out hope that the horrid 10-story prison-like hotel concept that was released years ago for the Enterprise lot has been completely abandoned, and that someone with sense rezones that lot for 40 stories, as well. Shit, at LEAST 20 stories.

3 Likes

It’s the Gale Street rezoning. I put it up on the blog recently.

https://dtraleigh.com/2023/04/gale-street-rezoning-for-greater-height-less-surface-parking/

6 Likes

Is this new, 40 story zoning for between South Salisbury, and South McDowellSouth south of West Cabarrus?

1 Like

I’d post it again, but 4th place is out of the medals.

1 Like

LOL! Well you still get a participation trophy.

4 Likes

Not for long. In the general assembly’s infinite wisdom, they are trying to ban those in the state. Glad that they are tackling NC’s most pressing issues.

3 Likes

Gale Street rezoning kicked to May 16.

1 Like

‘Where can we build affordable housing’ and ‘Who gets to Live Downtown’ comments posed by Councilor Harrison…countered with ‘Urban Activation yielding taxes we can use elsewhere’ by developing this lot (Melton) pretty much illustrates the push / pull that will seem to endure as we come to grips with Raleigh’s continued growth…

4 Likes

I love how this is such a hard decision for some of these people. Sigh. MAB making common sense points as usual, though.

1 Like

Melton was also spot on as per usual. Sucks to see this one pushed back so far, but I can’t imagine there’s any situation where this doesn’t ultimately end up passing.

4 Likes

No shit, and thus so beyond stupid and pointless to just defer the vote another month.

2 Likes

Who is the “we” in Harrison’s mind? Is she going to get the financing and put up her own life savings to start building a multi-million dollar apartment building? Does she not realize that any new housing is going to be better than uhhhh no new housing? Does she want to just stifle any/all progress or rezonings until the Unicorn of a City-funded affordable housing project is underway? Is that even possible? Is she the dumbest, most uninformed and unprepared person to have ever been elected to Raleigh City Council?

6 Likes

Curious what her points/ counter arguments were? I enjoy her dry, sarcastic retorts.

1 Like

Don’t agree with the position or presume speak for her but, my read is :
We = the Community, No to question 2, Yes, but to question 3.
No but there’s questions We ( see above) should ask to #4. Why not to #5.
No, I don’t think so to question 6, she’s not uniformed at all, very measured with an albeit sincere wish for her service to reflect the concerns vocalized by her constituents as the elected representative of D.
Because downtown is chopped up by the districts and this one falls in hers ( I guess :upside_down_face:), she gets time (and deference from other members) to ask more questions and seek better community outcomes.
It’s a quirky and nuanced thing, this city governing… :speech_balloon:

3 Likes

I’m so sick of her, she is straight-up NIMBY. I’m sure not everyone wanted to push it vack. We want her out next year.

Yeah me and my campaign strategist (I’m not running for office), are trying to seat which seats can we take back district D or E despite the Dem Psrties ties to Livable Raleigh. There also talk about another at large seat so we’re in it for the long run.

My podcast also is coming I I’ll make sure we outnumber those folks.