Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

I’ll start podcast waiting for right time, we need to prepare now for next year.

Sounds good. But wait, I have a life to live. Can’t we do this when I retire?

I definitely think you have to retire or be too rich to work, or be a jobless “community activist.” Might need to get to work on that first? But don’t wait too long, or there won’t be any tall buildings left downtown! Only affordable 1 story brick buildings and parking lots.

I thought the same, but I met with him recently and I got the impression that he definitely intends for it to be fairly politically involved eventually, more so than WakeUP Wake County. Just not intentionally controversial the way Livable Raleigh is. Not sure if he intends the political involvement to be more “elite” involvement or grassroots.

1 Like

This really got me going…Whatever alternate group is going to be initiated to educate - good luck!
‘Greedy Development’, ‘Save our Character’, ‘Why Demolish our Treasures for Transit’…?
Winner Winner, Why Listen to Reason When Pitchforks are Better ?

1 Like

Wow that’s an awful list. Mayor Baldwin beating out Mark Robinson for worst politician should immediately signal to any rational person that this thing is a complete joke.

15 Likes

Another thing we have to expose there must be NIMBY behind the editorial of this. This misinformation guys we need to get out on the streets now!

2 Likes

They literally do nothing for the community. What the f**k “activism” can they even claim? Oaks and Spokes and Raleigh United Mutual Aid do infinitely more for the community and have for years… this is absolutely laughable.

3 Likes

Yeah I need to talk about this in the podcast when should I start it? Also should I start a Patreon to support it?

1 Like

You should start it today or at least tomorrow. Send me the link once it’s up and running.

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Show Off Things From Other Cities

Other half of the Metropolitan block going for a rezoning up to 40 floors. At one point this was going to be a development led by the nc league of municipalities for their office space and they were looking to add other components for mixed used building(s).

17 Likes

Nice! That’s one sad underused parking lot these days.

6 Likes

Not to rain on our parade, but the N&O has a story on the surging sub-let issue with total vacancy in the metro region at about 18%. The article does suggest that the buildings in big trouble are the older, 1980s + suburban ones. Let’s hope this leads to some great redevelopment and doesn’t significantly slow office towers in DTR - though we are already seeing the move towards more housing. Enjoy!
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article274823556.html

7 Likes

Probably looking to sell after their other plans fell apart, and this would maximize the value.

1 Like

Southern Urbanism is Durham based

Triangle Blog Blog is Chapel Hill based

I think there is a group working on linking YIMBYs together, including JTruman

7 Likes

Next year is crucial we can step ahead or go back.

12-story rezoning on the docket for the corner of Lane and Boylan.

18 Likes

Let’s hope some of the neighbors fight this tooth and nail, I mean where else is Personally Fit going to find a new location in Raleigh? Also take into consideration nothing is 12 stories anywhere close to here, so this can’t continue because the next developer will build 60 stories and shadows. Am I doing this right?
Also if I’m the only one to show up and complain, I have the power to stop this right?

5 Likes

I can only hope it passes, I’m not as confident as much anymore. This may have no opposition but my stress-adding district d member who I won’t name will have some excuse to push this or have some insanely affordable housing demand.