Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

Add the potentail numbers at New Bern & Tarboro and we are talking about a sizable additions to housing stocks.

3 Likes

City Council approves 6-2 the rezoning to 40 floors at McDowell/Davie/Gale/Salisbury. Christina Jones and Mary Black voted against it??? No idea of any reason to vote against this in this location.

30 Likes

That must be where they park

11 Likes

Excellent that this did actually pass! Iā€™m assuming those 2 figured the owner owed everyone free housing or something. I really hope a few of these people get voted out next year.

8 Likes

Shadows on the folks in jail?

1 Like

Theyā€™re completely unaware of the fact that the vast majority of affordable housing doesnā€™t come from new development.

4 Likes

Raleigh needs a serious pro growth and housing organization like California Yimby and Yimby Action with some real money behind it to counter attack and destroy the myth that developers are the big bad wolf and its gonna take real marketing also, I love my Dems, but not a fan of the far left wing of the party, they are bad for business literally these two represent the far left they are not pro growth or pro business they donā€™t understand in order to get affordable housing you have inventory for all housing period based on your market,folks are moving here like gangbusters, and most of them are not broke $$, we have to have housing that caters to them or they will just buy a cheap property in Southeast Raleigh and force Gentrification, but again they donā€™t see it like that lol, it frustrating because they are literally hurting there own cause making it worse, I was a foot soldier in California Yimby, its mind boggling to me to see the perception of what a yimby is here, in Los Angeles African Americans are pro Yimby and very much apart of the movement but alot of money :moneybag: and education of how housing works was pounded home, also just smart politics for example when you have a major rezoning up for vote in a heavy Democrat area (Kane) you donā€™t go to Wral news and talk about how you Want Republicans to take over smh, sorry not smart, What you do is recognize your political environment and switch up for example start giving more charity and you have to market the good deeds, you have to come off like santa claus, you make it so hard for these council members to vote no against you, again marketing the benefits of your product in essence also using stealth marketing to promote pro growth policies. If Im off topic sorry, I could go on and on but donā€™t want to ramble. I know my grammar is not the best but, I hope some of you all get the idea of what Iā€™m trying to communicate basically we need alot more planning as a collective front to beat these Nimbys.

6 Likes

This may be the longest single sentence ever. I think I agree with you, but I had to take a break to rest my eyes. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

You, blink, at, the, commas.

And I totally agree we need a pro development organization! Iā€™d probably refrain from categorizing it as YIMBY, but definitely pro development/density/responsible growth.

8 Likes

Finally the last piece in the skyline is done, Iā€™m not surprised Christina Jones or Mary Black didnā€™t vote for it, I came up with a joke that isnā€™t politically correct so I wonā€™t say it here. While it think Jane along with Black and Jones have NIMBY tendencies I hope she realizes that affordable housing canā€™t be in every development. Megan Patton seemed for it, ofc everyone the Mayor Baldwin, Melton, Forte, and Branch.

2 Likes

I already like him that already a good sign.

Yeah I stop because all the stalkers and folks who harass me think Iā€™m a far-right winger in fact they think we all are, I try to explain weā€™re non-partisan but they donā€™t get it.

You right and I get it my head hurts and so is my vernacular but have to take note of this.

Ooooooh, look at the potentially tall neighbor next door to the old Enterpriseā€¦ :eyes:

2 Likes

We have to fight like hell Iā€™m a talk about it in the podcast about some strategies. Might even start a premium subscriptions to try to block the enemy.

Perfect spot to build a 40 story high rise, in the heart of downtown.

14 Likes

Literally fills the gap it better be good design for such a prominent spot. I hope not disappointed they have no excuse. I even out my own drawings since this is an office? At least one part is.

2 Likes

I agree except with the section about far leftism. I would more so categorize them as centrist leaning as they are in support of liberal ideas like affordable housing, but unwilling to change the status quo to achieve those ideas. Affordable housing, public transit, and looser zoning codes are inherently liberal, not moderate. This is the kind of misconception about liberals and liberal economic policies that work against people on the left like Bernie Sanders and give them a bad name.

4 Likes

TBJ posted about this today. Not many new details though, other than some insight into the conditions required by council:

Future plans for the properties are unclear. Sotoodeh has a history of buying properties in downtown and sitting on them. He has owned the Truist (NYSE: TFC) building at 434 Fayetteville St. since 1993. In 2017, he acquired the former News & Observer headquarters building at 215 S. McDowell St. for $22 million. In 2019, plans were revealed for a mixed-use development, called The Nexus, on the 215 McDowell property. But the development has yet to materialize.

The new rezoning had received pushback from council members and residents, citing a lack of affordable housing and walkability issues in downtown. The applicant responded by adding conditions that required a contribution of $100,000 to the cityā€™s affordable housing fund and a bike share station installed in the public right-of-way adjacent to the site.

Council members said that the amount donated wasnā€™t enough as it only translates to the city being able to build about 2.5 affordable units. The applicant came back with a $200,000 contribution, which would equal about five units.

In addition to the donation and bike share station, other conditions include certain uses being prohibited on the sites and requiring a public art installation.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2023/06/07/raleigh-40-story-rezoning-convention-center.html

9 Likes

2 units isnā€™t enough?? How aboutā€¦DOUBLE that???

3 Likes