Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

No that’s 401 Hillsborough. This project, the developer seems eager for rezoning ASAP to start working on a project for this property.

Still this is Raleigh so Durham will have ten 27-story towers planned and finished before this project even starts. lol

5 Likes

This is for the Reynolds Building on the NE corner of Edenton/Harrington right?

Durham approves/builds that much faster than Raleigh? (I know it was sarcasm but I’m still curious lol)

1 Like

The 8/21 TBJ article quoted a partner of Trinity Capital as saying explicitly there is a long term lease on the property and this was a value-add for further down the line

1 Like

Shame so at least two 40 story zoning that will sit for a long while.

I could’ve sworn this parking lot was a long term zone and hold?

1 Like

The last thing Raleigh needs is a 40 story, glass, stick-like building similar to the “futuristic” buildings in NYC.

1 Like

Or Charlotte, don’t forget about Charlotte… :wink: :rofl: :joy:

This is so true!! I was just saying the same thing to a friend of mine.

40 stories is less than half the height of the Billionaire’s row pencils. I think we’re ok.

8 Likes

I feel like One City Center took as long as Charter Square from proposal to completion. There were logistical issues with preserving the historic storefronts on the site to be fair, but I don’t think Durham builds towers any faster. Matchstick apartments maybe, but it’s not exactly boasting a skyline yet…

The South Bank site has also been a long time coming and is by no means moving fast. Plans were sitting around for the site since the great recession. Not sad that it took a bit extra since we’re getting something taller than what was originally proposed (here’s hoping the Nexus goes through a similar revision).

8 Likes

Nah. Can’t be worse than a 3 story brick building surrounded by a parking lot

4 Likes

Honestly if someone wants to build a 40 story skinny modern building in Raleigh, I’m all for it. But it obviously doesn’t make sense here financially unless some :nimby: City Council really did make huge setbacks for every new project. But they wouldn’t allow 49 story buildings so I guess it’s moot.

5 Likes

No that’ll make our city look good and professional look at the Bank Of America tower in Dallas there could be lights and everything.

City looking to get some rezoning for city property along Fayetteville St between Summit Ave & Water Works St.

R-6 :arrow_right: RX-5-UL
9.25 acres not in floodplain
Potential 340+ units

15 Likes

All for infill south of Downtown! Such a huge waste of opportunity leaving downtown. It’s so weird.

11 Likes

Whoa! That is…very interesting. Never knew any part of that property was available for development. That segment of the greenway is the most densely populated at this point. I would be, like, really REALLY thrilled if the city decided to retain a bit of the property to make a little cottage court, maybe two dozen units or so, of homes for the homeless. Actually providing a home has been repeatedly shown to be a better transition for the majority of homeless, particularly the unsheltered, of whom there were over 200 at the state’s point-in-time count in 2020 in Raleigh, and I can count at least 20 who live in the trail corridor in this segment.

Seattle has had positive outcomes from such tiny-home communities, although Seattle has communal kitchen/bathroom facilities in its tiny-home courts and I think Raleigh has the space to provide private bathrooms at the very least. The sense of ownership and community–and being part of a community that isn’t just your tiny-home court–is a major factor in positive outcomes. It doesn’t work for everyone; some portion of the unhoused prefer sleeping rough, but it’s a small portion, and given that “affordable” housing at less than 80% market rate is still, to be frank, unaffordable around here, and given that this particular location will have a demonstrably negative impact on some very vulnerable people, I think this location would be a good place for the city try something like this (even though I don’t expect the people who currently live near the creek here would necessarily be among those moving into the development).

It’s not like we’re swimming in hotel rooms so we can house people in those, like LA is trying. This is actually a great opportunity for this supposedly progressive city to try something progressive and different and I hope someone actually brings it up. What is the process here when the city rezones its own property? Will it even come before council?

5 Likes

Two other sites nearby as well might be good fits for something like that.

1 Like

oh and the timeframe…

3 Likes

Looks like Shaw may be looking to cash in on some of their land Downtown.
HBCUs are unfortunately cash strapped so anytime they can get some cash they go for it. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/02/17/shaw-university-evaluating-downtown-property.html

“We have large tracts of land that we can figure out how to make available in a way that downtown can grow in a way that’s respectful, in a way that brings opportunities and amenities to everybody.”

6 Likes