Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

Portland is most definitely not booming.

5 Likes

Yeah I thought about moving there until I chose Raleigh instead. The last 2 years, I’ve been like Yikes, glad I didn’t move there! Lol

7 Likes

Did any 5 over 1s get built in 2021, or are any planned right now?

This one hits the planning commission this week.

http://go.boarddocs.com/nc/raleigh/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=CAZM4M597189

Z-61-21: 316 W Edenton St, being Wake County PIN 1703594635.

Current zoning: Downtown Mixed Use-20 stories-Urban General (DX-20-UG)
Requested zoning: Downtown Mixed Use-40 stories-Urban General-Conditional Use (DX-40-UG-CU)

Approximately 1.05 acres are requested by 316 W Edenton Owner LLC, as represented by Worth Mills of Longleaf Law Partners, to be rezoned. Proposed zoning conditions prohibit five uses otherwise allowed in DX districts; require parking deck screening to meet certain minimum design standards; require parking deck lights to not be visible from the adjacent right-of-way or parcels; requires installation of a City Bikeshare station and indoor bicycle storage facility for construction greater than 300,000 square feet; prohibit the “nightclub” use as defined in the zoning condition; and require the installation of a public art installation prior to a certificate of occupancy is issued for any development on the site.

7 Likes

IMAPs shows the parcel North of Link Apartments on West Street (parcel number 1704501451) as subject to an Administrative Site Review filing for “construction of a seven story mixed use building with 184 multi-family units and associated structured parking”. Filed 2/3.

12 Likes

Interesting. Hope there’s some sort of courtyard ped pass through to bridge the funky gap at the end of Lane street

2 Likes

Where would it go? Even if you get through to West Street, you still have two train lines blocking the way to Glenwood and anywhere to really go. I guess Five Star would be much more accessible from the east.

1 Like

Just getting to west even feels like more of a win than stopping at Harrington imo. Not a huge deal of course but would be nice.

2 Likes

Funny to think back on scrapped plans. From 2008 I think, 11 story retail, office, Hyatt Hotel was supposed to go where Link is.

3 Likes

I know north hills has one but how Downtown Raleigh doesn’t have a Hyatt place and Hyatt house is crazy to me - every city has them :joy: (I have a Hyatt card and basically only stay at them for some reason)

3 Likes

I feel like something like that could work in that open field next to the building Five Star is in. If my memory serves correct it’s at the intersection of North and West street too. Honestly anything would look better there than the open field it is now IMO

1 Like

With downtown Raleigh’s history of being primarily a government town, it’s easy to see why hotel brands didn’t invest in the city. The core needs more corporate presence to justify further investment in upscale hotels.

9 Likes

As @pe1358 posted in the Downtown Hotels thread, a Hyatt House will be part of the Seaboard Station development.

5 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: The Alexan, 401 West Lane Street

yup. can’t happen soon enough!

@Anti-carAction not too bad use of the space all in all. and the parking is hidden

I was speaking more about the Hyatt place / Hyatt house lower end types that are in most downtowns. Even smaller ones such as Greensboro etc.

3 Likes

I remember seeing this monstrosity.

I don’t know man… I’d take this over the 5ish story, stick-built, retail-less Link Apartment building any day…

5 Likes

Proposed 40-story rezoning text change of 316 W Edenton Street has passed the city council. David Cox only one in opposition.

18 Likes

That’s the one where there’s no plan for anytime soon right?