Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

:clap: :clap: :clap:

3 Likes

Alright just watched it myself. Sorry to say, the counter arguments are weak.

I do find it interesting the scope here. You just got to walk it yourself. The argument that this is not adjacent to Hillsborough Street, but rather Edenton, and therefore shouldn’t be 40-stories is laughable. That’s 1 block over. And it’s a short block for that matter if you look at a map. Clearly the arguments are made by people that have barely walked the area or even use transit.

Both sides asked for the public hearing to remain open so this is fine.

15 Likes

The person doing the majority of the speaking against this is a representative for the Quorum Center residents. These people definitely have walked the area, although doubtful that they often use transit. They are just trying to use the excuse that RUS BUS and GoRaleigh station aren’t immediately adjacent to this to shoot down a tall building that will cast shadows to their building or block their view.

This guy frustrated me so much with his bogus that I have decided that I will be speaking for the first time at a council meeting when this case comes back in May in order to push back against the insanity of what he said last night. That being said, I don’t see much hope for this with the churches’ opposition.

22 Likes

He was really attached to the density around the transit plan defense. As if thats the only thing guiding density. Think he glossed over the central business district portion of the comprehensive plan a bit too quiclkly.

5 Likes

Density needing to be on a main road is nonsense. Density creates walkable neighborhoods by adding (wait for it) more walkers. Driving “requirements” diminish the more walkable an area becomes.
This church angle resistance really pisses me off. Churches do not pay property tax on their worship buildings/property yet they get a stronger voice in the public realm because why? Freedom of religion within the first amendment doesn’t just protect their rights, it protects me from being subjected to them, and we are systematically being subjected to others’ “religious freedoms” all the time it seems.

14 Likes

Yeah, that is true Churches operate on Sunday morning some Wednesday Evening but work out because the office is out on Sunday and had left Wednesday evening.

1 Like

So what’s next to do they have to resubmit their plan, should I email Baldwin about this rejection. The Fallon Company is developing in Raleigh across from the proposed 40-story towers that the city wants to build and they’re being pressed by the city in order for the rezoning to happen they have to care about preserving historic stuff. Like I don’t get the obsession with historic stuff like nobody cares.

Maybe the developer can work out an agreement on Sunday so that church people can park freely in the morning? That sounds like a good compromise.

Can you spot policing me it’s getting annoying the stuff the Gucci store will happen. But that doesn’t answer my question to what happens after rezoning request are denied what happens? I really don’t care if you hate Gucci I like it please and I’m telling you nicely get over it.

The decision was basically deferred. The party seeking the rezoning is going to go back to the drawing board and add some conditions - such as increasing the setbacks and they’ll meet again next month.

3 Likes

Okay, thank you question answered!

A post was merged into an existing topic: New Hillsborough Street (Downtown) Mixed Use Announced

No clue of this is the right thread or not. Found this in my SmartNews news aggregator.

Entrepreneur looks to build Raleigh’s first tiny home community for ‘digital nomads’

4 Likes

This is a really strange location for this in my opinion. Nowadays houses are essentially a fortress to retreat in. With a tiny home, you’d expect it to be built in downtown, or at least a walkable neighborhood nearby. I don’t see anything about mixed-uses either, and there’s essentially no Greenway access. Just strange.

2 Likes

What is the planned location?

1 Like

Planned for 3708 Rock Quarry Road

2 Likes

There’s a small strip mall about 1/4 mile west and about 1/2 mile east the giant old towne development is taking shape. That will have future commercial uses. But still - I agree a weird location. But it’s just the first, I hope it does well so we can see this in small in city infill spots.

2 Likes

Does anyone know the result of the public hearing for rezoning today?

2 Likes

Meeting moved to May 10 @ 4pm.

3 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2022/05/04/tidal-real-estate-deal-warehouse-district-raleigh.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=me&utm_content=ra&ana=e_ra_me&j=27590926&senddate=2022-05-04

I don’t see this anywhere else. A Developer has purchased property at the corner of Davies and Harrington. It’s already zoned for 40. No solid plans yet but they “hope to by the end of the year”

5 Likes