Possible New Development Locations and Projects - Rezonings

Just wanted to start a thread of possible projects that might happen or areas where development might be feasible. For example, the parking lot behind whiskey kitchen could be a new development while protecting the whiskey kitchen itself. There are many other surface lots and parking decks that can be replaced or built upon. I think this can just be a thread to discuss where we think development should happen the most and what should go in that spot. Personally, I think a burst of new high rise residential towers such as in Nashville, Austin, and Charlotte could bring us up to a level that they are on while benefiting our skyline and helping it to densify (is that a word?).

3 Likes

no. lol.:innocent:
how about “help to increase density.”
I currently avoiding editing, lol.

1 Like

The entire block around Whiskey Kitchen is suppose to be hotels I believe?

1 Like

My husband and I did a “staycation” this weekend at Residence Inn (really nice, btw, recommend if you have out of town guests!) and our room was overlooking the North Carolina Education Association building at South and Salisbury. The whole time I was looking at the 1 story building spread over (acres?) of land I was thinking that lot would be great for redevelopment. Not sure what it’s zoned for, but it’s a surface lot and 1-story building 1 block away from Fayetteville Street. I’d love to see a great mixed use project there to extend the urban core further south.

8 Likes

If I’m thinking of the same plot you were looking at (to the West of Memorial Auditorium?); that’s where the Exploris “Gateway” project is/was supposed to go.

3 Likes

Yes! That’s it. Thanks for the reference. Hope to see that project move forward soon.

1 Like

I think Exploris has the property behind the building you were looking at, but part of that swath you’re talking about.

https://dtraleigh.com/2016/06/revisiting-the-gateway-center/

Same but I’ve lost hope. At this point, with some of the more prominent lots being taken for smaller scale projects, I hope that plot gets rezoned and goes way taller.

Saw this on the internet. Dated from 2017, so prob outdated?

7 Likes

So the lot I’m referring to is actually the one immediately west of Memorial, or the white massing in between Memorial and the proposed towers, so I think a different lot. Thanks for this rendering!

1 Like

Ahhh, yeah I’d love to see that be redeveloped, too! That, the (potential) Exploris site that @mike just shared, and the two lots in front of Memorial Aud. that the city owns would massively extend the downtown-proper skyline, to the point that the Five Horizons and Downtown South projects wouldn’t nearly look so disconnected (if they even happen).

I’m thinking the parking lot between McDowell and Salisbury bordering Lane west of the General Assembly could become a nice 20-30 story tower. If Smoky Hollow Phase 3 and Zimmer happens, this can be a nice string of buildings linking together.

There is a small warehouse building at the southwest edge of West at North that can be a great spot for redevelopment, sort of like this South End Charlotte USA new building.

3 Likes

Today’s TBJ has a article on a $250 million project for downtown Raleigh .

Hi Dwight,
I think they are referring to:

2 Likes

Thanks R ! Raleigh is booming .

1 Like

Hopefully wishful thinking is in the vein of this thread. With Transfer Co. appearing to be a success and bringing a lot of traffic to that area of town I think we need some more development in that area. A natural fit seems to be that dirt lot in the Martin, Bloodworth, Hargett block. I know there are several other blocks closer to the heart of DT that haven’t been developed yet, but I’m partial since I live nearby.

8 Likes

This project is named Salisbury Square (Unofficial). The look has changed quite a bit. 1 20 story resi tower, a 20 story multi-use office/resi tower, a deck with multi-family wrapping it and a hotel. Think a better looking FNB tower. This is going to be a NICE PROJECT!

4 Likes

Which project are you talking about?

The project I am referring to is the NCAE site adjacent to the PAC. I dont think there has been any public announcement that I am aware of. 2 20 story towers, a large parking deck with multi family apartments wrapping 3 sides and a hotel of which i am unsure of the scope. A courtyard in the center of the project

3 Likes