Possible Tourist Attractions

Pretty much the City Market will be hindered severely until the private owner sells or the property is transferred to his estate and then likely sold.

1 Like

thanks for the clarification

Yet another reason Iā€™ve always liked MAB and will be voting for her for Mayor.

5 Likes

I actually really like City Market Sushi and Vicā€™s, both restaurants are great at what they do. Itā€™s a shame that the owners are in no rush to upgrade the rest of the tenants.

1 Like

Iā€™m putting my vote in for the following:

• Signature tower/Observation Deck in Dix Park (ā€˜light houseā€™ inspired)
  • Marketing natural assets (tubing, canoeing, zip-lining, camping, swimming)
  • Water feature(s)
  • Supporting growth of local festivals
3 Likes

Wow, lighthouse idea is interesting! Could be very cool if it was done well.

1 Like

Not downtown, but Iā€™ve wished that the old smoke stack over at NCMA that was saved to turn into some kind of art could have a lighthouse-style observation deck installed at the top with an exterior mounted spiral staircase to get there. Would be great view of downtown from thereā€¦ Google Maps

2 Likes

Wasnā€™t the smokestack preserved for the swifts that nest in it?

As much as I like the idea of some kind of lighthouse, I really like the idea of it keeping it ā€œfor the birdsā€.

2 Likes

Wegmans has officially cemented itself as one of Raleighā€™s top tourist attractions.

https://www.newsobserver.com/living/food-drink/article235608107.html

4 Likes

This idea came up in a conversation with a coworker the other day.

Here in the Triangle, we like our education, weā€™re proud of all the research and startups and cool ideas we have. But thereā€™s not a lot of ways or places for the average kid (or adult!!) to see the latest and coolest. So when my coworker brought that up, I was about to say that some park or museum for tech and the life sciences (for all ages) could help with that sort of engagement and exposure.

But wait. Thatā€™s not a thing.

ā€¦which made me wonder: why donā€™t we have a biotech museum in the Triangle? Orā€¦ anywhere?

Existing science museums don't let people see what's new and why they (not just scientists) should care about science things. (click me)
I can tell you that I would've loved a place like this as a kid/teenager. (click me too)

What would it take to create something like this? I feel like itā€™d make sense for us to have a one-of-a-kind museum or attraction like this. (Plus actual researchers or companies could also present things and connect with the community?)

4 Likes

Thing about tech museums is that they get extremely dated, really fast. So such a museum would require continuous funding and updating. Just go to Valencia, Spanish and see how ridiculously outdated the science museum is. Really nice structure but last time I was there they were still using iMac G3ā€™s.

1 Like

Thatā€™s true, though I feel like you could minimize the risks of becoming outdated through some sort of partnership with departments or labs in local universities, or discounts for certain events/conferences.

Keita has cool ideas, sometimes.

Then again, youā€™re right, continuous (or even initial) funding will be a big issue. I wonder whatā€™s the best place to go for this? Could this be pitched to the Research Triangle Foundation or UNC System, or is there a more appropriate place?

I made the mistake of driving down WF rd yesterday. Traffic was backed up all the way from Duke Raleigh down through where Costco is. Iā€™m gonna go check it out a some point. But Iā€™ll wait a couple of weeks and let the mayhem pass.

Sadly, even universities canā€™t keep up with the increasing rates of change, and the funding required to support it.

By 8PM last night, getting into the deck and parking was a breeze. I will say, if youā€™re from up North and have missed Wegmansā€¦ itā€™s glorious. And if itā€™s your first Wegmans experience, it will hopefully live up to the hype. Wegs is basically a food hall, restaurant, full scale bakery, farmerā€™s market, bottle shop, Hallmark store, specialty foods grocer, home goods store, and floral and garden shop inside of a grocery store. And itā€™s all themed, from floor to ceiling. It is the Universal Studios Orlando of grocery stores, and the first Raleigh location does not disappoint. I almost got choked up walking in.

7 Likes

Put me in the camp that hasnā€™t been but canā€™t get as excited as others. (srsly, I have to drive there??? :stuck_out_tongue:) Itā€™s all good though cause I love seeing people get SO into things, like geeky subcultures. Whether itā€™s books, games, or tech, for example, that people stand in line overnight for, why would food be any different? Glad others are excited, 100%.

I just hate crowds so will certainly wait until it calms down and get over there off hours some time. (well, maybe :wink:)

3 Likes

It was definitely still packed when I was there at night, just not difficult to get into/drive around it (the cops directing traffic were long gone). But yeahā€¦ huge crowd. Speaking of lines, apparently there were 3,000 people waiting in line to get in at 7AM opening, breaking Wegmans records. Thatā€™s insaneā€¦

2 Likes

Apparently you werenā€™t the only one who had an emotional reaction to Wegmanā€™s.

Multiple people commented on the Facebook page that they cried when they saw my sneak peek video inside the store on Friday.

I donā€™t get it but Iā€™ll be sure to bring a box of tissues when/if I go.

2 Likes

If you forget to bring tissues, I think theyā€™re in aisle 6.

5 Likes

Mark your calendars folks, this is the day Raleigh died as a Southern city and it now fully apart of the Midatlantic region.

5 Likes