Rail Line to Fuquay-Varina

Just a point of clarification.

The blue outlined railroad is the combination of the North Carolina Midland Railroad which was incorporated in 1880, running from Winston to Mooresville. And there’s the Atlantic, Tennessee, and Ohio which was incorporated in 1855, running from Statesville through Mooresville and down to Charlotte. This is currently referred to in part by the NSRR as the ‘L Line’.

Then, the yellow-orange outlined railroad is the southern segment of the Atlantic and Yadkin Railroad which was incorporated in 1899, running from Mt. Airy to Sanford. This is currently referred to by the NSRR as the ‘CF Line.’

3 Likes

Anyone know what train sets (model) are on order for NCRR to replace the aging fleet or has that not been decided yet?

Those ralailroad companies are tough bargainers. But I’m confident Raleigh to Fayetteville will come quicker.

What do those mean? Asking for @PedroPastrana Pedro and @Francisco

If it’s too complicated to try to negotiate with the new owners, they still have the A-Line alternative:

4 Likes

O-Line: Charlotte - Mooresville - (Statesville)
L-Line: Mooresville - (Barber Junction) - Winston-Salem
K-Line: Winston-Salem - Greensboro
CF-Line: Greensboro - Cumnock
NS-Line: Cumnock - (Fuquay-Varina) - Raleigh

To the best of my knowledge, at some point, the O-, L-, and K-lines were operated as somewhat of an integrated mainline up until approximately the 1990s. However, I’m less sure that the CF- and NS-lines ever were. At any rate, NS’s traffic is probably now as heavily focused on the NCRR as it ever has been.

3 Likes

ACWR - Aberdeen, Carolina & Western, headquarters - Candor NC

(http://www.ACWR.com)

RJC - Robert J Corman Railroad Group, headquarters - Nicholasvlle KY

(http://www.rjcorman.com)

3 Likes

The grant money was approved. But, no contracts with Siemans have been signed to start assembly of new equipment for NC, as far as I’ve heard.

1 Like

Here’s the latest report I could find. But, the state was dragging its heels due to the drop in ridership during the pandemic. As those passenger counts rebound, there should be some life come back into the fleet replacement.

But, it must be noted, that any new commuter service started in our area will likely also be matched with new transets. So, no recycling of the legacy equipment currently running.

Those will probably be sold or scrapped.

https://webservices.ncleg.gov/ViewDocSiteFile/25949

5 Likes

When I reached out to NCDOTRR in June about new Piedmont equipment, I got this message:

“NCDOT is still working through the details of exactly what equipment we will procure and the schedule for the procurement. Due to manufacturing schedules for rail equipment suppliers, it will likely be late this decade before new rail equipment becomes available for service in Piedmont trains.”

2 Likes

The Raleigh & Fayetteville Railroad (RFCC) will commence operations on Saturday, December 17, with operations based in Fuquay Varina. The first priority will be to harden FV to Fayetteville getting the route back to FRA Class 2 track allowing 25 mph operations. Shoring up the Cape Fear River crossing at Lillington will also be an early priority.

FV to Glenwood Yard is currently Class 2 and doesn’t require additional trackwork at this time. The RFCC will interchange in Raleigh with Norfolk Southern and Fayetteville with the Aberdeen & Rockfish. Initial motive power requirements will be met with the transfer of two GP38-2 units from the RJ Corman Carolina Lines (leaving that property with three SD40-2s and three GP38-2s) and a GE unit transferred from the Nashville & Eastern as backup power.

The State of North Carolina will work with RJ Corman to evaluate options for upgrading the line from Fayetteville to FV. Business development along the entire route, including from FV to Glenwood, will be handled by Corman.

9 Likes

Looks like NCDOT just awarded some money to the Raleigh & Fayetteville RR (and others) for track work:

12 Likes

I was just looking RJ Corman’s short line inventory, and it appears that they actually do have passenger service currently operating on one of their lines! However, it’s probably the worst commuter rail route in the entire country: Nashville’s Music City Star (er, WeGo Star).

RJ Corman bought the Nashville & Eastern Railroad in 2018, and took over operations of the commuter service in 2019. Doesn’t seem like the service has changed much (minus temporary COVID reductions), and I can’t really find any reports of them trying to alter or reduce service either.

So, all that said, they’ve at least worked with passenger rail before, even though it’s an infrequent and objectively terrible service. Whether or not they’re open to expanding their passenger rail footprint… I guess we’ll find out.

3 Likes

The 19th century called. They want their trains back.

1 Like

Anyone more knowledgeable than me have insight into the process of getting passenger rail between Raleigh & Fuquay? Who would be the primary agency responsible for taking the initiative here? Can’t imagine GoTriangle has any appetite for another rail project at this time.

Passenger rail to Fuquay is probably 5th in line behind RTP/Durham, Garner, Wake Forest, Apex, and Zebulon. I Just don’t see this becoming a priority unless something changes in a big way.

A wildcard would be if they decide to implement Raleigh-Fayetteville via Fuquay, but the alternative through Selma is the more likely choice.

6 Likes

I’ve always thought some of the leaders down at Campbell would be pushing more for the route via Fuquay as it came close to (or through) Angier/Buies Creek if I remember? Having rail options from the main campus to the law school, to me, seemed like it would have gotten them on board but what do I know.

3 Likes

The Raleigh & Fayetteville Railroad (RFCC) unit transferred from the Nashville & Eastern Railroad is now in Raleigh. It has been sitting on an interchange track at Edgeton where it’s been for at least five days - clearly more than enough time for it to get tagged with graffiti.

Pics taken Monday afternoon (12/5) from the Atlantic Ave. bridge around 3 PM.

11 Likes

“They’re here…”

R. J. Corman has arrived in Glenwood Yard from “Music City” in the form of B40-8 #8572 and is spotted at night on December 7th, 2022.

The first diesel locomotive to wear Corman’s “Nashville & Eastern” paint scheme, the locomotive will now be the first to wear their “Raleigh and Fayetteville” scheme, already taking the place of red, gray, and white Baldwin diesel locomotives that were serviced in the same spot this locomotive rests awaiting its first trip down the line to its new home in Fuquay-Varina.

However, it still wears black and neon-yellow graffiti from a vandal who found it awaiting delivery to the yard unattended.

What interesting times…

10 Likes

What is to become of Glenwood Yard? Is it covered in the lease with Corman? Does Carolina Coastal use it at all? (Don’t they mostly operate out of Wilson?)