Rail Line to Fuquay-Varina

NS Glenwood Yard is a ghost of its former self. NS still owns it, while bits of its periphery have been sold for residential development.

Carolina Coastal/CLNA hasn’t interchanged there in quite some time. RFCC will interchange there, but NS primarily uses Selma and East Durham.

1 Like

Does it seem possible that RFCC will actually need that much of a facility, or could they live with the small yard by central prison? IIRC there used to be more tracks there than there are today.

Anything to get rid of the diamond at Boylan Wye. That thing is a thorn in everyone’s side.

1 Like

I wonder if Corman/RFCC is trying to set themselves up as the operator to run freight on the S-line if/when the State of NC acquires it?

I love train grafitti :smiling_face:

What is to become of Glenwood Yard?

Maybe in approximately the year
2085 it’ll become a brand-new 10+ platform through-running passenger rail station due to Raleigh being such a booming rail hub that RUS can’t keep up capacity. :smiley:

6 Likes

The ghost of David Cox would still be complaining about something relating to this project

2 Likes

But wait isn’t Fayetteville planning a commuter rail line?

I would check Fayetteville to Rss add Leigh commuter rail that the officials over there are planning.

Former RJ Corman Carolina Lines GP38-2 7710 has now joined Nashville and Eastern Railroad B39-8 8572 in Raleigh (note graffiti is gone!).

She was dropped by CSX at the NS interchange at Edgeton late Sunday and pulled today. She’s pictured here late Tuesday afternoon at NS Glenwood Yard in Raleigh. Sister GP38-2 3817 is also being transferred from the Carolina Lines to the new Raleigh & Fayetteville Railroad.

7 Likes

The first run of RJ Corman on the former Original NS between Raleigh and Fuquay-Varina earlier today. 12/19/2022.

18 Likes

RAIL Magazine’s twitter account ranks Raleigh-Fayetteville via Fuquay as the 41st most likely corridor to happen, of the 69 that FRA accepted into the Corridor Identification & Development Program.

https://twitter.com/RAILMag/status/1747302696762142973

7 Likes

Fayetteville still is planning commuter rail line to Raleigh haven’t heard much since the announcement so that definitely benefit us. And honestly this could fix commuter rail all over the area.

Going via Fuquay is not a foregone conclusion. As I recall, the eastern route would be better by pretty much every measure other than “Goes through Fuquay-Varina.”

1 Like