Raleigh and Statistical Area Population

OK I’m going to ask the dumb question. What is ETJ?

2 Likes

Extra Territorial Jurisdiction … basically means all permits will go through the town of Raleigh and anything built will be in the city limits. The progression goes city limits, extra territorial jurisdiction, short range urban service areas (projected to be urbanized in the next 10 years), and long range service areas (projected to be urbanized sometime but beyond 10 years). The ETJ expansion that Raleigh is requesting takes up both SRUSA and LRUSA (shades of blue on the map I made above). Apparently with 540 being built they are projecting that urbanization will occur much sooner.

1 Like

The real answer is an area where a city pushes it rules on an area without providing any services. Supposedly to make area fit and met city rules when annexed later, but some no growth cities just use them to stop development with no intention of ever providing services. .

1 Like

And really, developers pay out the wazoo for all the engineering and installation of new water/sewer if it’s part of an annexation into ETJ. They even pay for the upgraded pipes to handle future capacity per the city’s plan. It’s not really a cost to the city until years later when they need to repair/replace.

1 Like

Understood, but like many homeowners who buy a home, money isn’t put aside regularly to fund future maintenance because, you know, life happens. When the time comes to maintain/repair/replace existing infrastructure, and if there’s not enough money to do so, taxes increase.
It’s in the best interest of the city to make each and every acre as financially productive as possible, and the best place to do that is urban and other high density nodes. For example, while I don’t consider places like North Hills to be actual urban places, I do appreciate them for the revenue stream that they bring to the city’s coffers.

3 Likes

New MSA data is out for Raleigh-Cary
2018 estimate was 1,362,540
Revised 2018 estimate is 1,361,590 (reduction of 950)
2019 estimate is 1,390,785 (+29,195)

Raleigh-Cary is in the top 10 by % of MSA growth since 2010, and is only one of two MSAs in the top ten that’s over a million people. The other one is unsurprisingly Austin.

9 Likes

How does that growth compare to other cities (percentage wise)? Has that number grown or decreased since previous years?

So is Wake’s population officially estimated to have surpassed Mecklenburg?

2 Likes

Still looking for that info. Stay tuned.

Drum roll please…
:drum: :drum: :drum: :drum: :drum:
Wake County: 1,111,761
Mecklenburg County: 1,110,356
#byefelicia
Search Resultscharset=UTF-8
Search Resultscharset=UTF-8

17 Likes

Wake: haha we’re the biggest
Mech: aaaaarrrrrhhhhhhhggggghhhhhhhhhh!

2 Likes

Image result for its not fair memes

1 Like

Some absolute growth numbers for other MSAs in our general category (using original 2018 estimates, not revised ones).

Raleigh-Cary +28,245
Durham-CH +8840

Nashville +28,419 (essentially Raleigh-Cary alone is growing as much as the giant Nashville MSA)
Richmond +9458
Jacksonville +24,813 (here growth flies under the radar nationally. It’s fast growing and not a huge land area like Nashville)
Oklahoma City +12,505 (Raleigh-Cary will likely pass OKC in 2021)
Louisville +200 (that’s right, only 200 people. This one shocked me.)
New Orleans +131 (another shocker…it’s like treading water, no pun intended)
Charlotte +42,793 as expected, the 2 NC metros are killing it in growth.
Greensboro +4140
Winston-Salem +4552 (Durham MSA outgrew combined G’boro + W-S)

12 Likes

This website shows Raleigh’s metro area to be so much bigger than it actually is. It completely encompasses Benson, Louisburg, Franklinton, almost to Goldsboro, Dunn, and Kittrell. Which is like 45 minutes from N. Raleigh. As for Charlotte, in their official metro area, which is about 2.5x bigger than Raleigh-Durham-CH, they’ve only grown about 2x more than Raleigh and Cary. We are growing at a pretty substantial pace over Charlotte.

https://northcarolina.hometownlocator.com/cities/msa/msa,id,39580.cfm

2 Likes

Jacksonville is the largest city in the US by area, isn’t it?

1 Like

City itself is 875 sq. mi. CSA is about 5,308 sq. mi., so yes, pretty big, but I don’t think it is the biggest. Correct me if I’m wrong.

In the continental U.S. Yes ! I think Anchorage Alaska holds the overall crowd could be wrong.

Not Anchorage but other cities in Alaska.

1 Like

Yeah place called Sitka lol.

1 Like

Did anybody noticed that Fayetteville is bigger than Raleigh on this list? Which is the one of the main reasons why they changed the law on forced annexations…