Raleigh and Statistical Area Population

Curious for your source that those counties were removed?

Thereā€™s a lot out there on the web. I donā€™t recall where I saw it first, but hereā€™s a link that shows it now. Iā€™ll look for one that shows the 2013 version.

Okayā€¦hereā€™s an image from a previous version.

3 Likes

Here are two links from one of my favorite population data sites.
https://www.citypopulation.de/php/usa-metro.php
https://www.citypopulation.de/php/usa-combmetro.php

3 Likes

None of that is census official though is it?

Yes it is. It takes from the official definitions, and is updated accordingly.
Hereā€™s a page from that same website that looks at the various category of data thatā€™s consolidated on this site. USA: States, Counties, Cities, Places, Urban Areas & Metropolitan Areas - Population Statistics in Maps and Charts
There are other sources that I look at that are not taking directly from the OMB (the Census folks) that are not reported on this website. For instance, the urban areas and clusters have not been updated since the last Census and are still reporting their 2010 populations, while Demographia has its own estimates that are independent of the OMB. Hereā€™s that link: USA: States, Counties, Cities, Places, Urban Areas & Metropolitan Areas - Population Statistics in Maps and Charts

4 Likes

Estimated January 2020 population from Wake County.

PopJan2020

13 Likes

Wow really? And they couldnā€™t estimate 17 more people? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

13 Likes

That is quite the jump from last years growth rate!

1 Like

Iā€™m curious about the countyā€™s methodology. Do you leverage similar sources that the Census leverages for their annual estimates, because these are much higher numbers than weā€™ve seen each year from them.

The Census estimate from just 19 months ago (July 2018) was just over 469,000. Iā€™m curious how this estimate can be so much higher for the city. Certainly I hope that the county is more correct in its estimate. If they are, you can assure yourself that there will be 17 more people added by the official Census count. Iā€™d love to see Raleigh crack 500K officially because it will be a number that will get tossed around for much of this decade.

7 Likes

Itā€™s more based on actual structures and occupancy rates, vacancy rates based on the 2010 census but updated with the new construction and increase homes, apartments etcā€¦ The census often undercounts at least that is believed by many.

3 Likes

Yea Iā€™m trying to contact why Census listened to Durham no good crap, and split Raleigh and Durham MSA into two different ones, and if there looking to put it back because in projections it not gonna look good in the end Raleigh projected to hit 500,000 or 600,000 or 555,000 at the end of the year. And there gonna figure then how do they have a metro population of nearly 2 million then they start mergeing MSAā€™s and in fact we might overtake Charlotte in that.

Gonna put this here. Pretty large Raleigh ETJ expansion being looked at in SE Raleigh, potentially extending ETJ all the way to JoCo line.

8 Likes

I donā€™t know that Iā€™d be interested in extending the ETJ into an area thatā€™s intended to stay largely rural, and I certainly wouldnā€™t want to annex land that isnā€™t financially productive for the city. Of the options, I think that Iā€™m most likely aligned with extending the ETJ to I-540 only for now.

7 Likes

Makes sense thanks John

1 Like

Just remember that Fuquay Varinaā€™s ETJ request was a lot larger but Wake County scaled it down considerably. Raleighā€™s request will go under a review process and may not pass in its current requested state. And also of note, I would rather any new construction gets water and sewage versus wells and septic tanks. Something will get built there be it in the city of Raleigh or in the jurisdiction of Wake County.

1 Like

Will it stay rural with 540 going through the middle of it? There will be 3 exits off of 540 into this area and with good planning could have some fairly dense mixed uses. The opportunity is there and I suspect that is why Raleigh wants it in its ETJ.

13 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s why I am open to them extending it to 540. For me, itā€™s splitting the difference among the options, but not opening the door to put Raleigh on the hook for financially maintaining all that rural land as part of a possible future annexation. Then again, it would be sort of cool to think that the Raleigh could eventually extend from Johnston Co. on the east to Durham Co. on the west. Of course, Iā€™ll be dead before that actually happens at the snailā€™s pace annexations are happening these days.

4 Likes

I donā€™t think there is cost associated with land being in your ETJ until it is actually annexed. Of course they have to do the planning for that area but they donā€™t run water or sewage in advance of the annexations. They do have a large water treatment facility already to the east of the future 540 so there is some infrastructure in part of this area already.

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand that Raleighā€™s not on the hook until actual annexation, but I donā€™t even want to start going in that direction if the land canā€™t be financially productive for the city. I want to see the city become more dense, not less dense as it grows.

2 Likes