Raleigh and Statistical Area Population

So I guess it’s 1.129 million!

11 Likes

Mecklenburg 1.115 million

5 Likes

Wow. So, we’ve blown by them by 14K as of April, 2020. No looking back now.

Also, Mecklenburg is 1.115M not 1.15M.

9 Likes

Charlotte’s got (slightly more)!? :face_with_hand_over_mouth: Dang it!!

1 Like

No. They are 1.115M not 1.15M
Also, Mecklenburg growth has slowed significantly. From 2019 to 2020, they only grew by 5126. In that same time period, Wake grew by 17,649.

8 Likes

Sorry, fixed that!!!

1 Like

Ah, well cool! As has been said before, it’s nice to have two strong markets!

From Twitter! Percent Change and Top 15 by Population!

13 Likes

4 Likes

Here’s a good summary of it.

This part stood out to me: More than 1 in 5 North Carolinians live in one of those two counties.

11 Likes

2 of the top 4 are Raleigh MSA, 4 of the top 7 are Triangle.

11 Likes

According to the CBS article, the city of Raleigh has a population of 467,665, which I think is lower than expected.

Has anyone seen MSA numbers for Raleigh-Cary and Durham-CH?

Yeah I think we all thought it would be closer to 475k than it ended up.

Also all I can see are the 2020 estimates, not the actual numbers through simple searching on the internet.

1 Like

For MSA counts:

Choose “All CBSAs” and “North Carolina”

Charlotte &c. 2,660,329
Raleigh 1,413,982
Durham 649,903

Tallying up: Charlotte CSA is 2,822,352, Triangle CSA is 2,106,463, though who knows how the boundaries will change.

6 Likes

So Raleigh-Durham 2,063,885. I know we’ve beat this horse dead already but I just can’t understand how we’re separate.

10 Likes

North Carolina is now basically:

• Two metro areas absolutely exploding (Charlotte, Triangle)
  • Two smaller metro areas growing quite a bit, but not “exploding” (Wilmington, Asheville)
  • One metro growing slowly (Triad)
  • A ton of rural and small urbanized counties bleeding population (everywhere else)
10 Likes

Looking at this NC CBSA map, almost every other micro/metro in NC is losing population. Roanoke Rapids and Lumberton were down over 13%! Even Greenville only eked out a 1.2% gain.

The other growing spots are either coastal (Jax, Dare) or mountain (Boone, Cullowhee), or Triangle satellites like Fayetteville, Sanford, Southern Pines, or Burlington.

7 Likes

Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Austin, San Jose, Richmond, and Miami (so far as I’ve checked) all fell short of their 2019 estimates.
As for smaller cities and burbs, Apex and Chapel Hill both fell short as well.
There’s still work to do to reach 500K. I think that it’s going to take the dying off of the elderly that still live in their large family homes that they bought in Raleigh in the 70s and 80s.

84% population growth in the census tract covering downtown Raleigh!

P.S. :wink: I expect thanks from all of you for me knocking on all the doors downtown to ensure all downtown residents were counted in the blistering summer last year :wink: We did it!

20 Likes

Thanks! Where did you get that interactive? I’d like to go play with it a bit.

1 Like