Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

The one in Raleigh is busy on weekdays but most of the traffic was coming from downtown but that was before Publix so it’s died down a little

1 Like

Fenton is/was/ will be the second Wegmans in Cary.
There’s already a Wegmans open in Cary (Wegmans calls it West Cary on their map, I believe it has a Morrisville mailing address). Google also calls it Cary. :man_shrugging:t3:
Cary’s got a boatload of disposable income so that’s why it’s tended to get these type of upscale proposals, the Ikea location selection, etc.

If only we could get a SmashBurger nearby.

I’ll never drive to Wegman’s as I view it it’s just a grocery store, But there are people who swear by it.

1 Like

The Morrisville / West Cary one is always packed

1 Like

Didn’t Kroger in part pull out due to the “oversaturation” of grocery stores? I know Harris Teeter went into quite a few of them (same company I believe), but I think there are still a few stores that remain empty or ar who longer grocery stores.

1 Like

They are same company. That was probably the reason why. With so many Harris teeters here they probably didn’t want anything to steal their shine

1 Like

6679 falls of neuse suite 105…@Smash

Kroger was struggling here before the Harris Teeter purchase. It had been in the market since the 90s but never found a niche between two big local guys. Neither in the quality of Harris Teeter nor the savings of Food Lion. Then as Walmart and Whole Foods squeezed market share out, Kroger found itself without a base. The Harris Teeter buy got it access to the growing market without having to fix Kroger’s middling reputation in the area. Graceful exit stage left.

5 Likes

Thanks We have actually driven to it a few times more than I’d like to admit from Gary…lol

It’s a haul but it’s so good

I know there’s one in Durham I just hope they get a franchisor to do Cary. Shake shack is already here which is great and walking distance even

Confirmed by Biz Journal, Wegmans out at Fenton. https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/03/08/wegman-not-coming-to-fenton-in-cary.html?cx_testId=40&cx_testVariant=cx_45&cx_artPos=2#cxrecs_s

6 Likes

Well that really sucks

Did they give a rational? This would seem to be a pretty big blow to the development.

1 Like

Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 3.00.52 PM

1 Like

I wonder what the other Fenton tenants are thinking now that the anchor store has pulled out. Also I’m not sure what would be a good fit to replace Wegmans since that store has such a big footprint.

4 Likes

IKEA! lol
Probably will end up target

7 Likes

I was thinking the same. Kind of BS that they all committed to coming there because of Wegmans, and now they’re left high and dry. Also, that rationale from Wegmans doesn’t even make sense. We have done a bunch of online shopping business because of the 2020 pandemic, so therefore a store opening in 2022 isn’t needed. Sigh.

2 Likes

They probably think that people won’t be going back to stores at pre-pandemic levels.

3 Likes

Out of all the in-store / on-line shopping trends due to the pandemic, I would think Groceries would have the best chance to bounce back.

4 Likes

Cary Town Blvd is now dubbed “Disappointment Gulch 2.0” (1.0 is Crabtree Valley). Although actually the disappointment ratio seems higher here, if anything.

Silver lining: I never liked the site plan for the Wegmans portion of Fenton. I always thought it was a mistake to take the mixed use and stick it in the back where it can’t be seen. Maybe Fenton can rethink things and bring in more mixed use closer to Cary Town Blvd, which might make more sense now that CTC is going to be Epic’s HQ instead of another massive mixed-use development.

9 Likes

it sounds like they’re going to try and find a replacement grocery store: Cary Wegmans: Wegmans store at Fenton in Cary no longer happening; Holly Springs Wegmans in the works, store officials say - ABC11 Raleigh-Durham

Last year, we were able to quickly identify and replace our first anchor tenant, a movie theater, with a stronger operator, Paragon Theaters, despite the impact the pandemic had on the theater business. We expect to do the same for the grocery component of this project

1 Like

I think they’re too far along now to do a full re-think. This is from their twitter from last week, and I circled the Wegman’s area

Edit: Another fun view from the Fenton crane towards DT Raleigh.

16 Likes