Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

I have very high expectations for the Cary Downtown Park. I think it is going to be an awesome place with areas for a wide variety of activities. Performances, playground, splash pad, dog park, quiet areas. All along a vibrant street with restaurants, and next to a nice library. It will be walkable for people in the areas, and there is also a parking deck, so people can drive.

11 Likes

I agree, I think it’s going to be an amazing addition to Cary’s quietly impressive ‘downtown’ little node there. I still can’t wrap my head around all that development in the area sometimes. I did grow up going to that First Baptist Church down there and as a kid there was nothing on Academy street except Ashworth’s and the old library.

8 Likes

Yes, but Cary usually has me saying “money can’t buy taste” :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

But it can buy a lambo or tesla of choice

4 Likes

but it can obviously buy someone who does have taste!

4 Likes

Progress on the Cardinal as of this morning.

26 Likes

After nearly 15 years of planning and fighting it appears the super development “Veridea” is a go. Located at the corner of US 1 and I-540 it’ll have 4500 homes and 4 million sq ft(!) of non-residential use. The preliminary site plan even calls out “potential future commuter rail stop”.
It’s further out but I do believe these type of self-sustaining developments are key. Ex: Wendell Falls, Chatham Park, Southern Village etc. People who live here can likely live a car free lifestyle for the most part.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/11/02/apex-development-veridea-master-plan-filed.html?utm_source=st&utm_medium=en&utm_campaign=me&utm_content=ra&ana=e_ra_me&j=25550039&senddate=2021-11-02
https://www.apexnc.org/DocumentCenter/View/37124/Veridea-Non-Residential?bidId=

12 Likes

Old news but do I understand this correctly? Kane Realty wants to rezone for two 40-story towers, one 30-story tower, and a 12 story tower in North Hills?

The skylines are really going to compete in the future. Rail from DTR through Midtown/North Hills should be looked into after the commuter rail project.

12 Likes

…What rail line is even in that area??

2 Likes

Monorail!!! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

The line that goes from Raleigh to Cary then branches off and goes through Apex and eventually Sanford and Southern Pines. Parallel to US 1. Passes right through

1 Like

I’m pretty sure that line hugs Old US 1 a few miles north of this project. I could be wrong though.

Start here. Was some good discussion had. Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments - #2911 by Oakcity85

That railway passes through just north of this place, on the other side of US-1. There’s a small stretch of commuter rail tracks that are a part of the Apex branch in the draft 2050 metro transportation plan:

This is not a part of the Durham-Garner line whose design is more mature, but it’s still on the draft regional wish list anyways. It seems to largely overlap with the proposed road in the “Town Center” just north of 540 though, so I’m not sure how these two plans will play nicely…

6 Likes

Wait a minute… It’s maybe a half mile north but yea not sure what they have in mind. With a development this big, they could be on to something though.

It looks like transit planners want to eventually build a new spur line that branches away from the existing CSX tracks and into where this Veridea development could be. That’s how they’re accounting for that half-mile gap.

If this means the development could have a regional rail station, then that would be seriously cool! Though… like I said, it’s not clear if the developers are even aware of this conflicting plan. Since that TBJ article says this master plan just got submitted to the Town of Apex, I hope their staff picks up on this contradiction.

3 Likes

They called out two potential stops on their submittal drawing so hopefully they are on board.
Also with this new Draft TIP it looks like they’ve finally added the possibility of a East Line which would pass right by Wendell Falls. That line is probably last in line but hopefully I can see it in my lifetime.

5 Likes

I’m hoping that rather than competing skylines, more and more is built up between N. Hills and downtown proper, so that they become complementary skylines bridged together by more density along Six Forks/Wake Forest/Atlantic - which is already starting to take shape with Iron Works, East Market development, and Midtown Exchange along St. Albans

12 Likes

Braking off the current rail corridor in apex and going through this project and continuing to Holly Springs makes a lot of since to me.

6 Likes

could it continue to F-V, and then head back north on the Ral-Fay line? Ahhh, to dream . . .

2 Likes