Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Kane owns a decent bit past the apartments that are currently under construction. I presume that “St Albans Holdings” is the land controlled by this group.

10 Likes

Looks like Coastal Credit Union is pulling the trigger for a hew HQ across from Midtown Exchange.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/12/05/financial-firm-plans-new-headquarters-in-raleighs.html?iana=hpmvp_trig_news_headline

9 Likes

Great for Raleigh!
Interesting though,that the deck seems stacked against DTR for anything financial…?
Maybe all financial firms are kinda, I don’t know, in a way, “DTR Lactose Intolerant” ?

FNB just opened.

Nickster --Thanks for posting link to more details on this project. When anouced a few weeks ago there was very little info other than “we are going to build a building”

1 Like

Is there a rendering someone can share for those of us without TBJ access.

1 Like

Do not think they have released one yet. According to TBJ report the building design is in flux depending on rezoning and CCU’s board making some decisions.

(edit) But did say hope to be in building by late 2022 so should not be long before see some pretty pictures :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Wish Coastal at least had a branch downtown as they’re the bank I use.

8 Likes

Same - but that’s the beauty of credit unions… if you just need to withdrawal, use the SECU CashPoints at the science museum with no fees. I’m sure it’s not long after this HQ goes up till there’s at least a small Coastal branch location downtown, though.

1 Like

They mentioned parking as an issue. Until that gets resolved in DTR companies are going to choose North Hills and North Hills adjunct.

1 Like

I found this statement to indicate parking would be the same as if they build downtown. Would be a parking deck either way. Not sure if “current condition” are what zoning is now, or something they put in rezoning request for some reason.

“Current conditions included in the rezoning request restrict the height of the office building to 15 stories and require at least 95 percent of the parking to be contained in the proposed parking deck.”

Not exactly sure how parking would be an issue if they built the office tower on top of the parking deck.

Well, I worked at Red Hat and they have a parking deck within that big parking deck complex. Eventually they had to contract with several parking decks to handle the influx of new workers and it was a mess. Half the time I didn’t know where to park as that kept changing. I suspect that is an issue with other companies that keep expanding. Midtown/North Hills you probably have space to add more parking space if needed.

Now if we just had Better bus / rail service…

2 Likes

YES YES, I lived in Toronto for a year and only time got in car was to go between airport and apartment. Thankfully the company I was doing project for paid the rent. Between subway, street car, and buses had no need for car. There was a large grocery store in lower levels of Man Life building across Bay St. from apartment and subway stop one block up street.

1 Like

It’s not parking that needs to be resolved; it’s transit that needs to be resolved.

13 Likes

Yeah that is what needs to happen.

Some North Hills info.

Park District

• 18 story Cardinal expansion opens 4Q 2020
  • 20 story Tower 4 (Adv. Auto Parts HQ) opens Fall 2020
  • 35 story Walter Tower tentative start 2020

Park District East (new expansion area)

• 5 story Vine Apartments opens Spring 2020
  • 12 story Tower 5 now pre-leasing; tentative start 2020

Main District
JCPenney Site

• Store closes July 2020. That’s the last vestige of the old North Hills mall.
  • Retail building + parking deck are demolished.
  • Dig down for 2 levels underground parking
  • Build (two) 12 story mixed use project + lots of retail, 1M sqft total
14 Likes

Where did u get the info on the 18 story Cardinal expansion? I haven’t heard anything about it and to have an expected opening date in 4th quarter 2020 doesn’t make sense.

The Cardinal expansion was announced as I recall last fall (2018) Not sure of status of construction.

this is earliest link I could find doing a quick search.

1 Like

There has been zero activity on the cardinal tower.

Not sure how they plan to open in Q4 2020 when they haven’t even broken ground yet.