Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Hey other Mike!
Yeah that tracks. I guess cool of them to admit that at least.

Well will see ripples of the water with the helicopter nearby.

Kane is the Donald Trump of Raleigh.

Maybe in 10-15 years once all the new planted trees grow up. They have pretty much clear cut the area.

3 Likes

With land selling for half a million per acre, it’ll have to be some pretty dense “upper missing middle”. A lot of the new housing in suburban DC is office-park infill – townhouses, stacked townhouses, flats. A good example is Fairfax County’s “Dulles Suburban Center” on the east side of Dulles airport, which in a 1990s plan had been set for office and industrial. In 2017, the county rezoned the area to allow for substantial new residential:

Now, the area (“McNair CDP,” map) has several Census tracts that are as dense as DC, mostly in low-rise buildings.

4 Likes

blast from the past https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYn_hbdgbkw

For context, my condo building has more than 80 units on an acre of land downtown. Even at just 50 units on that acre, that’s just 10 grand a unit.

Mid-rise interior-corridor buildings are larger than “missing middle,” which is generally duplex to low-rise apartment. Any new residential in RTP would need extensive new infrastructure (roads, stormwater) which don’t have to be provided in DTR, and that cost is implicitly subtracted from the land price. At least it doesn’t require substantial water and sewer extensions.

I guess it’s also good that they understand the land’s too valuable for single-family housing. 100,000 residents in 7,000 acres is ~9000 people per sq mi (PPSM), a pretty tall order for a suburban place with lots of employment land use as well. By comparison, it’s about equivalent to the Census tract surrounding Glenwood South (8710 PPSM), denser than the tract containing UNC central campus (8215 PPSM) and almost 3X denser than Carrboro, currently NC’s densest municipality.

5 Likes

Given the corporate campuses that are already there, they aren’t going to get 9000/m2 with duplexes and low density apartments. The definition and expectations of missing middle may need to evolve.

2 Likes

I interpreted “prioritizing Missing Middle” to just mean that they see this as an opportunity to provide some inventory of housing types that are rare in the Triangle, not that the entire park would be Missing Middle. He specifically mentioned multiplexes and small condo buildings… Even if the park ends up being 70% high/mid-rises and the other 30% is Missing Middle, that would still be a huge increase in the availability of this housing type.

4 Likes

And it would be a huge improvement over the former “no housing in RTP” strategy.

3 Likes

Looks like Six Forks Rd is getting widened for 1 mile directly north of North Hills (Rowan St is the cross street where UPS Store/Total Wine plaza is).

10 Likes

Induced demand, induced demand, induced demand… can’t say it enough

Putting a walking and bike path in the median is unsafe and ridiculous but I digress :man_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes

I have a hard time believing they changed the plans to sandwich an 8 foot multi-use path in a median running only 1 mile down the middle of six forks.

Unless they altered the plans at the 11th hour, but the multi-use path was always running along side the road and was one of the largest variables in terms of cost because it required the most land acquisition

Yeah me too but I do know that there was a design change after the public survey period ended but sheesh that wasn’t even an option on the survey.

There can’t be any paths in the median. It’s just poor wording from a WRAL article.

2 Likes

Having pedestrian and cycling infrastructure in separated segments doesn’t work anywhere median or not. It’s like the many sidewalks in the us that just end abruptly. Sidewalks and bike paths have to be connected by a network for people to use them as transportation options and they have to be of consistent quality.

1 Like

The problem with widening this is that there is more than likely going to be a very high probability that cars will be turning into the side roads at very high speeds. Also to note, why are they wanting to make another Capital Blvd? How do people think roads like Capital Blvd start? This was a very bad move on a street where there is a middle school and high school. With traffic already normally moving at a very high rate of speed 40-45+ off peak, this definitely shows a lack of any actual safety concerns.

This was the only one that met the budget constraints to move forward - widening 6 lanes with median from Rowan to Millbrook with an 8’ mulit-use path.(It says paths…we shall see…) No separated facilities. No road adjustment or multi-modal through connection from Millbrook to Lynn…

2 Likes

It’s an 8’ multi-use path on both sides plus an exrta lane.

They should have scrapped the extra lane and made it a BRT lane instead.

11 Likes