Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Which one? The one near Highwoods Boulevard?

If so, it’s getting torn down for apartments: https://cityofraleigh0drupal.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/drupal-prod/COR15/ASR-0048-2020.pdf

I remember a few years back there was a developer interested in turning it into an indoor waterpark + resort. That would’ve been so damn cool, and would absolutely bring some tourism. Even with Wet n Wild an hour and a half away, an indoor waterpark with attached hotel would be busy year round. Oh well!

On home-furnishings retail:

1. RH once had 100+ mall-based stores, but since 2011 has been shifting to a strategy of fewer but much larger stores, only in top-50 markets – everyone else can shop online. So anyhow, it’s a win for Raleigh to be among those markets.

2. IKEA USA’s future store model is definitely still in flux since their big 2018 pivot. In the near term I’d expect most of the new stores to be on high streets in gateway markets; their only new store since then is across from Bloomingdale’s NYC flagship (around many other furniture retailers), and now comes news that it’s purchased an empty mall on mid-Market in SF. Other countries, like the UK, have supermarket-sized “Pick-Up Points” which tend to be in more conventional shopping centers.

3. CB2’s been growing much slower than I thought it would; it’s only up to 14 metros since launching in 2000. Seeing as they’ve only just arrived in Boston and Philadelphia, haven’t returned to Atlanta (closed shop in 2015), and have yet to reach say, Houston, San Diego, or San Jose, I’d say it’ll be a very long time until they get past the top-20 markets.

3 Likes

Yes the one that looks like it’s from a scene in The Walking Dead. I think we’re talking about the same one.

1 Like

One North Hills Tower looks like it was inspired by the Jawa sandcrawler.

databank_sandcrawler_01_169_55acf6cb

31 Likes

Yaaasss!!! :desert:
Lol I knew I liked it for some reason. Lol!

4 Likes

Looks like the Astellas building North of Chicago

10 Likes

Big update on redevelopment of Cary Towne Center aka “Carolina Yards” published this week Cary Citizen . All starting with groundbreaking “in early 2021” including full renovation of Belk and remerchandising.

At full-buildout, Carolina Yards will include:

• Approximately 10 acres of parks and open space among 87 acre development. Only Belk survives from existing mall.
  • 360,000 square feet of retail space
  • 1.2 million square feet of office space
  • 1,800 residential units (article mentions apartments and townhomes and others if people want “something larger”?)
  • 450 full service, select service and boutique hotel rooms

25 Likes

The Walter almost half as tall as the Advance Auto tower. Sorry no pic it’s dark out.

1 Like

Huge parking deck takes up most of the property.

1 Like

I don’t particularly like huge parking decks either but honestly if you’re a large company building an office building right now, what are good options for ensuring your employees can get to the office? I support the expansion of pub trans and alternative transportation in general, but realistically, what are the alternatives right now? Granted, this all seems a bit moot in the pandemic-stay-home times.

9 Likes

Agreed. The current alternative is a massive surface parking lot.

3 Likes

This may be wishful thinking on my part, but looking at the current CFCU building (and surface parking) in proximity to the proposed building and parking deck. Maybe some of the current surface parking can be developed in a more vertical fashion it the deck with the new building includes enough room for the displaced cars and cars from the redevelopment of those parking lots??

Red = new buildings
Blue = new parking deck

3 Likes

Windows going in on Walter Tower already.

18 Likes

In case you’re not following the “Future of Transit” thread, Colby pointed out an interesting update that might affect Hub RTP and/or Park Point (the former Nortel site): GoTriangle is thinking about making one of those places home to a new transit center too.

If I remember right, GoTriangle’s budgeting to build the new bus terminal in the middle of this decade. They need to choose where to build before they can work with landowners to sign off legal agreements, figure out project schedules etc.,… so it doesn’t make sense yet to have a concrete timeline.

Here are some things GoTriangle DOES know, though.

And here’s a pic of how the Nortel site could be laid out! See the link for Colby’s original post for the Hub RTP option, as well as some reasons why the Nortel site may be the smarter choice.

5 Likes

(making this a separate post since I know some people won’t read it otherwise)
Let’s leave the Nortel vs Hub location debate for the other thread, because I’m wondering:

1. Can Park Point (the Nortel site) be a good home for a transit hub?
Its most recent plans still make it look like a modern office park with no guarantees it’s not dead at night. How concerning could this be for new visitors, or for people who use buses late at night or early in the morning?

2. Can Hub RTP be successful without a transit hub onsite?
Hub RTP wants to be the new heart and poster child of the Research Triangle, where you can live and hang out someplace as cool as the work or research you do nearby. If this place isn’t the first thing some people see of our region, could that be a problem?

3. Could a frequent RDU-RTP circulator solve both problems?
I wonder if GoTriangle can use an existing bus service to make Park Point a viable transit center, keep Hub RTP an attractive place to be, and make it easier for visitors of the Triangle to get around? They could do something like this:

1. make their new RDU shuttle into a free, permanent, and obvious-to-use circulator
  2. move the RTC stop to the Nortel site
  3. extend the route to the Hub RTP campus
  4. make this bus only stop at these 4 stops (Hub, Nortel, and the two RDU terminals)
3 Likes
  1. Can Park Point (the Nortel site) be a good home for a transit hub?

I think the Park Point place would be good. I used the bus at RTC morning and night already so given the current location, I don’t see it being “dead” at night as concerning. Most riders now use it as a transfer point. RTC only served as my start destination in the morning and final destination at night. I never cared whether anything was within walking distance at the center. Depending on the day, I was able to grab what I needed on Hillsborough St in Raleigh before getting on the 100 back to RTC. My problem was the frequency and the point that if I missed the bus due to stopping on Hillsborough St that I would need to wait an hour before the next bus arrived. Businesses at RTC may alleviate that, but what I would need is a grocery store at the stop. I used the subsidized Lyft to get to/from RTC. If that goes away, then the chances are I’ll be driving to RTC and can drive over to Hub RTP if a grocery store gets put in. I wouldn’t put my money on good frequency between Hub RTP and Park Center that late (maybe an hour again?).

1. Can Hub RTP be successful without a transit hub onsite?

Hub RTP could be successful without a transit hub onsite. It would have a connection from the 805 bus at minimum. Having the 700 or 800 bus get off on Davis would provide more alternatives. All that would be needed is a bus stop (700 getting off Davis may not be feasible due to having to cross the entire highway in the short distance from 147 to Davis).

North Hills is successful and doesn’t have a transit hub. Part of the difference is the population that surrounds North Hills. RTP needs to add homes so that employees can live there and not have to worry about their commutes home.

1. Could a frequent RDU-RTP circulator solve both problems?**

Utilizing the RDU shuttle could be an option but I don’t think it would be necessary. If the 805/800 bus provided a connection between Nortel and the Hub, then it would be unnecessary for the shuttle to go to the Hub as the busses typically arrive at RTC around the same time and depart at the same time. This means the 805/800 would head that direction already making the shuttle unnecessary to head in that direction.

I think they need to look at who’s really going to be visiting Hub RTP. I know people from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill won’t necessarily want to venture out to RTP just because it has one mixed use area; It will need to have something that sets it apart from other developments. The people who will be visiting are local residents in the area who don’t want to drive into Durham/Raleigh. Given the local transit in the RTP area is lacking (I lived off Page Rd earlier this year). Chances are the people visiting Hub RTP are going to be driving anyway (RTP residents). Employees may stay after work, but then the bus frequency comes back into play. The 1 hour between busses will keep me from wanting to stay in RTP and instead try to rush on the bus to get home. I can eat/shop when I’m home.

4 Likes

Honestly it feels like GoTriangle is getting things significantly out of order here. Just as it was a mistake to pursue Durham-Chapel Hill LRT as a first phase, deciding where to put this transit center before the commuter rail stations and NC54 BRT are further along in planning would seem to be a mistake. Is something forcing their hand? Are the Hub RTP developers looking for an answer soon so they can know whether or not to build a transit center into the bottom floor of their parking deck? Is their landlord at their spot on Slater looking to kick them out? Or is there no other reason except that they just want to move forward with something?

7 Likes

350 Units (7 stories) with up to 3,000 sq ft ancillary retail (
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/11/02/multifamily-project-proposed-near-crabtree-mall.html

I’m waiting to see what’s actually going to happen with Crabtree. I don’t see the mall changing much but would like if they put some type of outdoor area or something else that would draw people other than just the mall.

5 Likes

7 stories probably means structured parking so at least they’re doing better than that horrific “Clairmont Crabtree” piece of crap that is under review directly across Glenwood from the mall. Perhaps there’s some hope yet for Disappointment Gulch?

3 Likes