Raleigh-area Mall / RTP Redevelopments

Adding in my view on the other side from walking around yesterday

17 Likes

Yet another upzoning (and added density) of an older apartment complex to the Crabtree Valley Mall area. I think this is the 4th of 5th new/redeveloped residential complex in the Crabtree area with in the past few months. I have my fingers crossed that the BRT is a stunning success and a line between DRT and CMV and DTR to NH will come with Phase II of the BRT rollout. Two very dense (and densifying) hubs in Raleigh need to be on major transit lines.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2020/12/18/rezoning-near-crabtree-mall-raleigh-development.html

9 Likes

I personally think that Glenwood Ave is an easy choice for Phase 2 of BRT. Very little privately-owned ROW acquisition needed as most of the corridor is already two lanes in each direction, and lots of opportunities for TOD. Have it follow what will be the existing BRT lanes up Capital Blvd to Wade Ave, then follow Wade and Glenwood to Crabtree.

I also see two major obstacles to this idea. The first is all the wealthy people with driveway access on Glenwood. Those folks are going to lose their minds when you try to tell them you’re taking away one of “their” driving lanes for a bus. They’ll all lawyer up. Maybe that’s an unfair assumption, but I recall something very similar happening in NYC not too long ago (fun fact: that busway was implemented anyway, and now the city wants more).

Second obstacle: NCDOT. Glenwood is also US-70 north of Wade Ave, and NCDOT hates giving up ROW to transit projects. I think that’s a key reason why Raleigh selected S Wilmington St for the northern segment of the Southern BRT corridor, and I also think that’s why the Northern BRT corridor will be the last portion of phase one to be implemented. That being said, if the northbound corridor actually goes well and reduces congestion on Capital Blvd, NCDOT may give Glenwood some consideration. Who knows.

I do agree, though. Glenwood to Crabtree and Capital/Six Forks to Midtown should absolutely be next in line following the initial buildout (also Capital to Triangle Town Center, but NCDOT has their own weird, overpriced, car-centric plan for that).

Edits: some grammar choices.

7 Likes

Also, fun fact, the Glenwood Ave segment next to the mall was ranked number one in terms of suitability for bus lanes in CAMPO’s R.E.D. Priority Bus Lanes study (see p32 of the final report). Don’t entirely understand that decision considering how short the segment is and the fact that all of the bus lines that run through that area actually enter the mall property to reach the station there, but I digress.

1 Like

Surprised there was still some open space there.

Probably easier and better ridership combining them into 1 line. Out Capital to Atlantic to Navaho to Beltline to Crabtree. Hits a lot of both existing higher density and more opportunities for TOD.

5 Likes

Overall, I think this general strategy is the smarter move. …though it could be an engineering nightmare to build (if the geometry even makes that possible).

For example, @orulz and I tried to draw out (see here and here) possible ways to implement exclusive transit right-of-ways around the Glenwood/440 interchange a long time ago. But we ran into the same problem as the actual Crabtree connection study on steroids; it might make the challenges of running the New Bern BRT downtown look like a piece of cake.

I guess this also depends on how the Midtown Area Plan comes to life, too. But it’d be cool to see it happen, once the first phases of BRT get built.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if they ended up going this route. Only thing I don’t like about this is running on I-440. One bad car accident (which, as we all know, is a common occurrence on the Beltline), totally screws the route, even with BOSS implemented. Perhaps it could follow Northbrook and North Hills to Lead Mine instead?

Also, I’m guessing they’d have to keep the Glenwood 6 line in tact… it’d probably still be faster then riding the entirely of that L-shaped line. Still, I can see it working.

3 Likes

12 story with retail is decent for the location.

At least it’s way better than the Clairmont Crabtree abomination planned across Glenwood from the mall, which is the schlockiest, low-rise, pitched roofed, surface parked, stick built piece of crap I’ve seen planned this side of Knightdale. The buildings range from a 1 story clubhouse, to apartment buildings in the 2(!) to 4 story range. This proposal earlier prompted me to dub Crabtree Valley as “Disappointment Gulch”.

12 Likes

Oh, yea this is super high-level. It’d have to be separated dedicated lanes on the shoulder if they used 440 right-of-way for the BRT.

1 Like

Love love love this monster, moving very fast, KANE gets it done.

1 Like

Flying cars are actually coming… Uber Elevate is a whole division of Uber for flying cars they’re developing. Friends of mine are working on the facilities where they will land and take off.

Uber is banking on flying ridesharing as soon as 2023

https://www.uber.com/us/en/elevate/uberair/

I wasn’t playin man, I am first in line, planning to be first person in NC flying around.

Does Morrisville have a developer for any part of their town center yet? It seems to me they are still in the RFP phase. They do have an oddly detailed plan for phase 1, but reading through the RFP it seems this was just produced by they town’s consultant and is highly conceptual in nature. As for parking, they clearly do want parking decks. The new library has a few surface parking spaces on its leased site that will not go away, but the RFP clearly even gives a developer the option of redeveloping much of the rest of the library parking lot if they can provide replacement parking in a deck.

Morrisville has spent decades lost in the wilderness with unambitious or conservative town center plans, but it is great to see that they have finally settled on something that is meaningful and will have an actual impact on the town’s walkability.

2 Likes

They have not yet selected a developer (that has been announced anyway). They do have a design partner that has drawn up the “preferred land use plan” to outline how they want everything laid out. This is a public-private partnership project, so the town will retain a good deal of say in the project (hopefully).

3 Likes

The Research Triangle Foundation (RTF, the nonprofit behind RTP) sold off some of their sites for smaller biotech R&D to double down on their upcoming Hub RTP development.

The Foundation bought a building that’s already standing across Davis Dr.'s eastbond onramp to I-40. A lawyer retained by the RTF called this a “strategic acquisition” and thinks it could be significantly renovated. This building always got left out of Hub RTP’s plans since it was the only building in that block that wasn’t Foundation-owned; now that that’s no longer true, I wonder how it can contribute to this mini-downtown area? :smiley:

And where did that $10.5M come from? Last week, the RTF sold 72 acres of lab and office spaces (which can support up too 300k ft²). They tried to attract new biotech startups to “the Lab” using smaller spaces and shorter leases, but ended up selling this plot of land to Thor Equities for $20.5M.

5 Likes

Looking good, this one is moving fast. Also interesting bank building just down the road on 6 forks. Merry Christmas to all.

22 Likes

Just curious if anyone here knows anything about the 5/6 story FCB building on Rowan Street. Ironically, there is a suburban BB&T at the intersection of Rowan and Six Forks, and this building sits behind BB&T away from the streets. When I drop off/pick up my kids at Carroll, I have noticed that this building appears to not be used. I wonder if FCB if just sitting on the property until it can be redeveloped (by Kane?) or if they have plans to expand their Midtown “Campus” on that property they already own.

4 Likes

It’s working it’s way up between the it’s sisters. 14 of 35 floors so far.

18 Likes

It’s nice just hope Smoky Hollow III is at least the same height or taller.

5 Likes