Raleigh Bikeshare

The city tweeted out the latest proposed bikeshare station locations.

1 Like

And now we have a name. Citrix cycle.

http://www.citrixcycle.com/

1 Like

So are all the bikes going to be electric assist or just some of them? The website doesn’t seem to be clear on that.

I think half the bikes will be EA. How they are distributed will be the real question.

1 Like

I like the idea except for the mandatory 45 minute check-in. If they have always-on GPS, what is the point of the check-in system? Wouldn’t they get alerted if a bike loses connection and/or goes outside of downtown Raleigh? Also if a bike is going 60mph its obvious it’s getting stolen.

Perhaps the mandatory 45 minute check in can be waived for monthly/annual users?

That mandatory 45 minute wait after check-in seems strange. I use Miami’s system a lot and have never encountered such a thing. In fact, when I’m riding and am coming to the end of my “free” ride time as part of my monthly subscription, I just dock the bike and take it out again immediately for another 30 minutes. At least they have auxiliary locks for short errands so that you don’t have to dock it and then have to wait 45 minutes.

All I can say is FINALLY!!! :smiley:

11 Likes

I’ve used the B-Cycle program in different cities and there is a mobile app that can tell you if you can utilize BikeShare from get from Point A to B and where the closest pick-up/drop-off spots are. Does anyone know if Bewegen (Raleigh’s BikeShare provider) is planning on providing something similar?

GoRaleigh Station is ready to go!

3 Likes

@dtraleigh
How do you think those “Bird” and other companies will impact these bikes?

I heard a stat about Charlotte that the ratio is 5 to 1 Scooters to Bikes. Even around NC State I see a lot less limebikes now that lime scooters are a thing.

Yeah, exercising is bad. :thinking::grin::wink:

1 Like

The bikes had their time to make an impact. Raleigh gov’t snoozed and lost. I’m glad for another option but I’d take a scooter over a bike any day of the week. And I doubt I’m alone. Let’s be honest, downtown bike enthusiasts already have a bike they take places. Scooters are easier and potentially faster (and dockless, so more convenient). Which do you think most people choose? :wink:

2 Likes

While I do agree with you in regards to easier and faster, I will probably be the first person imprisoned for running over one of these stupid/no rules scooter people…Lol

1 Like

I dont think people realize that Citrix Cycle does have a major advantage over the scooters. Cost.

I believe the yearly membership for Citrix Cycle will be $80 per year, which gives you unlimited rides under 30 min. If you qualify, there is also a cheaper plan for low income folks too.

So if you do the math, that’s about $7 a month on a bike, possibly an e-assist bike.

One 30 min scooter ride costs $5.50. Just one.

Don’t get caught in the hype. Over time, cost finds a home in peoples day-to-day and nothing else compares to Citrix Cycle right now.

7 Likes

Plus, bikes won’t get taken away by whim of the city. It was thoughtfully vetted and considered.
I’ll be subscribing to Raleigh’s bikeshare like I do in Miami as well.

2 Likes

I would like to see the bikeshare docking stations spread out more. Especially having the advantage of an e-bike, these become a very viable option for people who do not have adequate bus service and won’t until the 10 year plan is fully implemented. SE Raleigh near I-440 is an example.

I’d like to think that there is no reason that the bikeshare system not be expanded in the future. It’ll probably take a larger sponsor but hopefully if the system is successful now, more stations and bikes would be added.

1 Like

The Bikeshare system will eventually be expanded - but the reach still doesn’t get it much farther outside of downtown…

See page 9 for phase 2 station locations: http://bikeraleigh.org/home/images/PDF/20141209_BikeShareBusinessPlan.pdf

As a user of a very successful system for several years, I can tell you that it’s very important to start with a density of stations among a smaller geography. In fact, before expanding stations to more parts of the city, it’s even more important to densify stations within its initial coverage area. It may sound counter intuitive, but trust me. Without density of stations, it will not work.
The service also needs to focus on it being effective for people who live near the stations. This means that housing density is paramount to locating stations. Fortunately, as the city grows, housing density is typically paired with other attractions and services that bike share will support.

4 Likes