Raleigh City Plaza Renovations

Diving into the details on the project page, it looks like the fountain is gone but so is a "middle section of that long planter located to the east of the fountain. Hadn’t seen that before so wanted to share.

6 Likes

Wow. I am somewhat surprised as to why this was done? (don’t see an explanation)
I guess we are to assume that it was time and was needed?
Or was requested or pushed by the nearby businesses?
IMO, DTR is in sore need of a real fountain…public or otherwise! :grin:

2 Likes

Fountain rubble.

8 Likes

I heard a rumor on Facebook that fountains cause Covid19. :wink: :wink: :wink:

5 Likes

Fountain all but gone now…

8 Likes

I’m an idiot and lazy…remind me what is going in its place if anything…?
Thanks

4 Likes

Nothing but plaza open space. Look up above to dtraleigh’s post (just 5 up from this one) and you can see what it will look like.

1 Like

Did I mention that I was lazy :expressionless:

2 Likes

Couldn’t benches or something be put in for the restaurant pavilions?

1 Like

It is gone now.

7 Likes

If it rains really quickly now, it will a fountain…or at least a reflecting pool.

1 Like

It seems like this will open up the plaza a bit and perhaps help some of those storefronts along the back. I know when I’m there for events I never think of going back to those places, perhaps this will help bring them to the forefront of the space. I’m clearly looking for positives when they’re removing something that was once deemed a “feature.”

4 Likes

This is all that remains of the great downtown Raleigh water fountain.

7 Likes

Fayetteville St is closed for plaza renovations

10 Likes

Man, I thought the renovations was to spruce it up a bit and remove the fountain but it looks like the plaza is getting a larger refresh.

4 Likes

Expansion joint renovations.

2 Likes

This is like getting underwear for Christmas. Necessary, but no fun.

8 Likes

Not sure if this has already been mentioned on the restaurant thread, but Gigi’s pizza is closing and apparently another restaurant similar to Happy & Hale (veggie, healthy concept) is going in that space.

Also: Crema, my favorite lunch spot, is back open now :fire:

4 Likes

I noticed those things were pretty messed up looking. Was it just traffic, the events on the plaza or the adjacent construction that did them in?

Not much excitement on the plaza.

7 Likes