Raleigh Convention Center - Expansion and Larger Events

New RHA has incredible upside. Seems like they are taking it serious but interested to see how it all works on that lot.

4 Likes

The Memorial Auditorium is only 300 seats less than DPAC.

3 Likes

What is more state of the art about DPAC that makes it so much better? The way the curtains go up and down? The popcorn machines? I really see no reason why Raleigh can’t compete. In my opinion, The Memorial Auditorium is the better venue. Its got history and sophistication. DPAC feels like an IMAX.

4 Likes

Ask the multimillion dollar touring Broadway shows that continuously choose to book at DPAC and not Memorial Auditorium :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Each show doesn’t choose to go there. They have a contract with one company who controls all the shows and where they go. I think all the broadway touring shows are under that one umbrella company.

6 Likes

I would guess that those Broadway shows require extensive technical specs that DPAC has and Memorial doesn’t.

3 Likes

Well then Memorial Auditorium should upgrade their tech.

2 Likes

Ok then I edit my retort to: “Ask the multimillion dollar company that controls all touring broadway shows and where they go” hahaha

Same sentiment either way; there’s clearly a reason they choose to go to DPAC and not Mem. Aud. in Raleigh - we can say “Mem. Aud is historic! It’s the better venue! It only has 300 less seats!” but at the end of the day, apparently it simply doesn’t cut it.

1 Like

Perhaps its as simple as marketing and perception.

1 Like

The company that books DPAC I think is Nederlander and I’m pretty sure their contract was arranged prior to DPAC opening. I don’t think they can be separated but who knows. I think we should build a new larger theater than DPAC and see what happens!

4 Likes

DPAC had several issues when it first opened as it cut down on cost by shorting the sound system. But it had the better contract (with Broadway shows that provided their own sound systems anyway), it eventually had the budget to fix any issues. Memorial is a good venue, but honestly half the battle is your lineup and it’s going into each season behind the 8-ball.

I don’t think that’s how any of this works hahaha - imagine the sh!tstorm the city would face if they approved building a giant new state of the art theater to compete with DPAC without actually having any guarantee in advance that it can compete with DPAC… and then just sits there empty and unused and draining funds. I think we just gotta accept that Durham has us beat with DPAC, and should focus our attention to other things that Durham cannot and will not be able to compete with (i.e.: Dix Park and the now world famous Dreamville Fest that is happening this weekend with the recent addition of 50 Cent!!!)

4 Likes

Lemme guess, 50 because Chris Brown flaked in some new way - no foolin’ ?

There is not a bad seat in the house at DPAC. At Memorial, the back rows are waaaay back, you just about need binoculars. The seats in the “balcony” area on the sides are literally facing sideways, not even pointing at the stage. You have to crane your neck to see.

If you get front-and-center seats at Memorial, it’s fine, but the bad seats are really bad.

Sorry to say but while I love the aesthetics of Memorial, it’s a significantly inferior venue.

1 Like

DPAC is cavernous, and if you like the intimacy of Broadway plays, this venue is not a match. I can’t see their faces. :nerd_face: NC Theatre had quality productions at Memorial, but sadly NCT was claimed by long covid.

3 Likes

Let’s look at this in a different way: Memorial Auditorium is just not built for touring shows. It’s not, and I am saying that as someone who has performed there. Meymandi and Fletcher are two world-class venues, and should be highlighted more. Having performed in both, and seen performances in both, I can say that Raleigh is underrated in the classical music world. Memorial is fine for large gatherings, like graduations. It works like that.

IIRC, one of the perks when DPAC was being developed was that it would attract people from the Greensboro area and from Eastern NC. Whether that is the case, it does sit geographically well-located. This was before Greensboro built their own performance space.

I like DPAC. There are things to do around DPAC that are enjoyable, but I would love for Memorial to get one big show every now and then…it just needs some updating.

7 Likes

I’ve sat in that top mezzanine and thought that my seats sucked. I completely disagree that there isn’t a bad seat in the house.
Also, I think that the concourse experience there is bad. It’s entirely too small and poorly thought out for a new facility. It’s a bad experience IMO.

2 Likes

I like DPAC. It looks nice. I find getting the expensive seats helps. Lots to do nearby as well.

The seat I purchased was a late purchase for the show and the lower tiers weren’t available. I have learned that lesson. I only buy orchestra now, but I don’t go there very often at all.
I went to see A Christmas Carol there this year because I wasn’t in town for the Raleigh showings. When the show finished, we couldn’t find anything open to eat nearby in the direction we walked. It was a ghost town.
I am still not impressed.

1 Like

Sigur Ros is playing DPAC in the fall, Ill be sitting in the very last row but I’m just glad to have tickets at face value. I think Memorial Auditorium could find success in going after shows like this.