Raleigh Convention Center - Expansion and Larger Events

RFQ Alert! We're looking to create the life-sized RALEIGH photo opp of our dreams. Everyone loves to pose with art and letter installations that highlight their location -- help us bring a new #Raleigh landmark to the RCC! https://t.co/c23b155hAa pic.twitter.com/e52SkaCFJ8

— Raleigh Convention Center (@Raleigh_CC) October 13, 2021

“The interactive sign visualized by the Convention Center’s staff would be seven letters
spelling out the word “RALEIGH.” Each letter would be approximately 5 feet tall and 12
inches in depth. The full sign would be approximately 30 feet long.”

https://www.ips.state.nc.us/IPS/AGENCY/PDF/14460000.pdf

9 Likes

Definitely not the right website to have this kind of rant.

11 Likes

While I personally agree with you on a pettiness level lmao, that’s also not how a functioning democracy works. However, to your point, a Republican convention certainly wouldn’t get as much positive attention here than it would in, say, Charlotte.

4 Likes

Happening soon, biggest eSport event hosted by the RCC since Rainbow Six Siege Raleigh Major a couple years back.

Competitive Halo: Raleigh Kickoff Major

Lots of online chatter about the event so seems like a good advertisement for the city.

12 Likes

People around the world are already traveling to Raleigh for the Halo event. My feeds are blowing up. A team from Australia paid $25,000 just to compete at the Raleigh Major.

11 Likes

Raleigh is getting a ton of international notice from the Halo eSport event. Not once have I seen Raleigh being referenced as “Raleigh, North Carolina” nor “North Carolina”. It’s Raleigh. It’s the Raleigh event.

Raleigh has a good foot in the door of eSport we really should invest in eSports before the Las Vegas’s and Dubai’s of the world get all the events.

14 Likes

I didn’t know McLaren F1 driver Lando Norris owned a gaming and content company. It’s unlikely he will actually be there after Sunday’s finally in Abu Dhabi, which was incredible end to the best season I have ever witnessed in F1.

Does anyone know if the public is allowed to show up and watch these games?

2 Likes

Love it! We were walking by the RCC yesterday evening and could see some of the set up inside. Looks pretty amazing. I wonder what the city is doing to capture the visitors to explore Raleigh outside of the event. I’m not sure the Halo crowd is going to be super excited to do the Illuminate Walk (though I think it’s pretty cool).

5 Likes

I had a what-to-do guide that I displayed on some channels and some other locals chirped in as well.

Given that the area around the Convention Center is dead I made sure to direct people to the Warehouse District/Glenwood South, Transfer Co. Judging from the twitter feeds most people knew where to go for the night life.

7 Likes

This is a completely sold out event! Even spectator tickets are sold out. You can always stream the games on the official site or Twitch.

9 Likes

Appreciate your efforts!!!

2 Likes

So we just had Halo eSport Event a few months ago at the RCC.

Apex eSport Event happening soon (likely the RCC).

And now Fortnite event is coming to RCC November 12th.

Why is the eSport complexing being built in Cary? Would it not be better placed as part of the RCC as a mini-expansion?

2 Likes

Raleigh needs to float some bonds or something to expand the convention center especially if a downtown arena is off the table. Fayetteville street and surroundings need a serious boost. I don’t think it’s going to organically come from downtown population growth. You want people downtown, then get visitors without a car available, that have no other option but to eat and shop downtown .

8 Likes

RCC seeking potential new sponsor, local Martin Marietta

During the January 4, 2022, meeting Council authorized the City Manager to execute a contract with The Superlative Group, Inc., to solicit sponsorship and naming rights opportunities for the Convention and Performing Arts Complex. A potential naming opportunity for a facility within the Complex has been identified and will be presented at the meeting. Pursuant to Resolution 2021-278, a hearing must be held to receive public comment before the proposed naming rights agreement may be authorized.

Martin Marietta Performing Arts Center?

3 Likes

Sounds “Rock Solid” :wink: :rofl: :joy:

2 Likes

I’d love for the performing arts center to be replaced to renovated. The main theater is very cramped it seems and I hate how there is seating adjacent to the stage.

One thing I would also think would be cool is if in summer months, if we had our own version of the Rockettes or some sort of permanent residency act perform there in order to keep it busy and to add more unique things to Raleigh.

Martin Marietta Center for the Performing Arts.
I am good with that.

1 Like

At about $500k a year. I never would have thought naming rights cost that much.

1 Like

Performing arts? It’s more of a convention center than a place for performing arts. Martin Marietta CC would’ve been better and made more sense in my opinion. “Performing arts” typically refers to theaters.

I would respectfully disagree. Memorial Auditorium is the part I would look at even upgrading. Meymandi is surprisingly advanced in its acoustics. I used to perform there with the Triangle Youth Brass Band and it’s a great venue. Fletcher is also nice. We are so lucky to have the Performing Arts Center too.

13 Likes