Raleigh Convention Center - Expansion and Larger Events

GucciLittleTrackStar? :man_running:

1 Like

Interesting… this was posted today on RALtoday’s Instagram. Can anyone figure out the layout of that Convention Center expansion building with seemingly attached Red Hat 2.0??

EDIT: looks like the amphitheater would take up the (current) gravel lot just to the south. Perfect!

37 Likes

If Red Hat is rebuilt / displaces south to the next dirt lot and then the convention center expansion goes where the Ampi currently is with a glass bridge across McDowell / Cabarrus end of that lot. Not bad…

13 Likes

Yeah, honestly it’s a win/win. One less gravel f***king parking lot immediately upon entry into the city from the south is huge!

13 Likes

Interesting fighter plane bunker style entrances I’m guessing the new CC expansion will have a huge underground section and will be used for attendance management before security/ticket checkpoint–this will give the amp a bigger footprint than is possible if they went with a traditional sidewalk queue system.

Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 5.39.28 PM

22 Likes

I have to say that the “new” roofline reminds me of the OLD Civic Center…

4 Likes

From the PPt

https://wake.legistar.com/View.ashx?M=F&ID=11647658&GUID=514B56DE-D1A6-4AA1-89FC-1C89D4533EBA

39 Likes

The west side seems a little under-utilized. Maybe the can work out some public-private project to fill out this space? A retail strip or a skinny mixed-use tower?

5 Likes

Wow! What is the likelihood of that being built? Time plan?

2 Likes

I gotta think if they made it to this point it’s probably pretty likely to be done at some point.

7 Likes

What goes around comes around.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s an intentional (subtle) reference.

Anyway, this all looks awesome. The complex would be a real jewel for the city.

7 Likes

This is huge project and there getting smart using the tourism tax, they own that land everything can get done quicker. This convention center could host a dream RNC or DNC in a couple. In fact they should use tourism tax for DTS bringing MLB to Raleigh. And every possible tax they have, money they got that finally they realized oh shit we could spend a lot on this.

2 Likes

Makes sense why they’re trying to get all the hotels up now. This looks incredible. Would be a major draw for all kinds of events.

12 Likes

We are finally becoming an actual city! I have a feeling with the roofline, Red Hat could be just as iconic as the shimmer wall

10 Likes

And obviously, the new tower planned for 2028 has a 500-room minimum. However, the city has said they want the towers to be of a substantial height and with the amount of space needed, they could add 900 rooms and still probably need more

4 Likes

This is a crucial decade for Raleigh I can’t stress it enough we have to get our entertainment act together MLB to Raleigh, PNC renovations, hotels all in our cities core.

3 Likes

This is crucial decade for Raleigh I can’t stress is enough we have to get our entrainment together MLB to Raleigh, PNC Renovations, hotels in our cities core.

This is amazing news.
My only request when rebuilding RHA:
Grade it so that it’s actually an auditorium shape!
Nothing worse than a flat field, pop-up festival style concert experience in my opinion, and Red Hat currently has that with all concrete…
The rendering here looks pretty flat…

14 Likes

So this would close off Lenoir St? That seems unfortunate since that is a pretty critical East-West connection.

4 Likes