Raleigh-Eastern NC passenger rail

Toss me another $10b and I’ll build this, a Raleigh-Charlotte super express route that does the 138 mile trip in about an hour - about twice as fast as what an upgraded NCRR route via Greensboro could manage.

How do we make it happen? A deal with the devil. Partner with NCTA to build a Raleigh-Charlotte toll road. Build it with very few, and very gentle, curves.

1. Branch off of US1 (for the turnpike) and the S-line (for the HSR) in Moncure.
  2. Full greenfield route from there to Asheboro. Put a stop at Asheboro (within walking distance of the zoo!) for bonus points.
  3. Roughly follow NC49 with a combination of upgrades and bypass segments to Concord.
  4. Join the NCRR in Concord (HSR) and upgrade NC49 to I-485 (for the turnpike) to complete the route.

I figure about 100 miles, from Apex to Concord, at 220mph max/180mph average, and 20 miles on approach at either end at 110mph max/80 mph average - for an end-to-end trip time of 1h3m.

I should make it clear that I think a decent upgraded conventional rail network with upgraded service on the NCRR, as well as pasenger service to ENC and WNC should come first.

But get NCTA to pursue the Raleigh-Charlotte turnpike soon, with the stipulation that they build it with gentle curves and a wide enough median for trains.

19 Likes