Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

Does anyone actually read the N&O?

Okay, I admit it…I do. :wink:
However, I went to the eEdition only a few months ago…:shushing_face::face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Under the city’s government structure, does the mayor hold any more power than any of the other city councilors? I know there are procedural actions that the mayor is responsible for, but in a practical sense, does the mayor have any more authority than any of the other 7 councilors when it comes to actionable items?

1 Like
2 Likes

Several years ago the News & Observer used to have effective and consequential investigative reporting. But so many of their top people have either quit or been laid off. It’s really a shame that a city the size of Raleigh can’t swing a decent newspaper.

1 Like

Several years ago I subscribed to the Sunday only edition for about a year. They were running a Groupon special on it. I stopped it after the year because it was just a waste of paper and ink.

1 Like

Hey all. We decided to host an election watch party on October 8. Come on out that night to chat with other Raleigh civic-types and we’ll have a laptop up, refreshing as the results come in.

13 Likes

Used to buy that paper to line bird cages but it was not even good for that, birds rejected it.

1 Like

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ED8kbuzXUAI-jBJ?format=jpg&name=medium

Meet and Greet at Legends for Mary-Ann Baldwin TODAY 3-5PM. A Champion for DTR with a decade of service on the Raleigh City Council. (not currently serving - that’s the problem). Donations accepted, but not required.

4 Likes

Zainab Baloch did a Reddit AMA on the r/Raleigh page today, give it a look to stay informed, and ask any questions you might have:

2 Likes

The N&O did a really great Q&A with all of the candidates running in each of the races. Here’s a link to the one for the mayoral candidates, but I would encourage folks to check out all of them.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/election/article235139487.html

6 Likes

I’ve been seeing a lot more Sullivan and Brittany signs around lately.

I loved the question/responses, ‘ Do you regularly ride a city bus?’

5 Likes

A resident’s political endorsements in Five Points. I believe this house was an early Airbnb, & was on hold for the entire City Council discussion & outcome.

19 Likes

Omg that’s awesome. I want one of those!

1 Like

YIMBYs vs NIMBYs nice little battle. Hopefully the NIMBY obstructionists gets shown the door.

NIMBY folk need to move to Wendell. They are so locked into maintaining the status quo.

I live in Wendell and we don’t want them there, either.

8 Likes

"Our Raleigh endorsements in four words: Down with the NIMBYs.

Under the control of this pining-for-the-past anti-development crew, the Raleigh City Council has been petty, short-sighted, and dysfunctional. The four NIMBYs seeking re-election—David Cox, Stef Mendell, Kay Crowder, and Russ Stephenson—need to go. (Dickie Thompson isn’t running again.)"

12 Likes

We were discussing a main library in another thread a while back, and during my research into mayoral candidates I discovered that Charles Frances wants to “build a destination public library downtown to be operated by the county library system.”

He’s not my first choice, but I found it interesting that this is on his priority list.

4 Likes