Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

I lean towards adding a downtown library as being overkill. There are already two libraries pretty close to downtown with the Cameron Village public library and the Richard B. Harrison Public Library on New Bern just outside of downtown. You could add a few stories to Richard B. Harrison if you redeveloped it as a taller building and have to really good libraries near downtown.

1 Like

Sounds like he’s running for the mayor of 1985

1 Like

He’s allied with the NIMBY’s. No way do I want him as mayor.

Am recalling the Harold C Washington Public Library in Chicago or the New York Public Library on Fifth Ave. But, I think that’s window dressing and edifice building for egos that need that kind of thing.

There is already a library in the Wake County Building. Is it used at a level to justify the expense? I dunno.

1 Like

Having a grand downtown public library is a romantic idea, but I’m not so sure it’s grounded in the reality of how people access and share information today.
Just look at the Hunt Library on Centennial Campus for how information is accessed and shared today.

3 Likes

Hahah, Charles “Taj-Mahal” Francis. Now that’s funny, the stink he had over Nancy pitching the city hall building.

5 Likes

Genius!! His competition could definitely use this.

9 posts were split to a new topic: Downtown Library

(moving library comments to appropriate new thread)

I just found it interesting, partly because we discussed the main library that was formerly located at 121 Fayetteville, but especially because of his prior comments about City Hall as @Drew mentioned.

That said, Francis doesn’t seem fit so perfectly into the NIMBY mold based on his candidate questionnaire (for what that’s worth). He claims to be “pro-scooter,” thinks the ADU policy is too restrictive, is against NCODs that restrict property rights, and wants to reduce costs and speed up development services. Those stances don’t scream NIMBY to me, but lots of other things he says do.

Also, regarding the NIMBY/YIMBY tribalism happening in this election, can someone clarify what the difference is between the Raleigh YIMBY list and YIMBY Raleigh website/social media accounts?

There’s discussion on the Boylan Heights FB about YIMBY Raleigh being run by a “NCGOP gerrymandering lawyer and presumably private lobby for AirBNB/VRBO interests.” I know that’s probably overblown, but I then realized I don’t actually know who’s behind these things.

2 Likes

YIMBY Raleigh is a fellow named Brent Woodcox. I go to church with Brent, and I have to say that he is very different in real life than he is on Twitter, and I do wish that he could be a bit more conciliatory on Twitter, because not everybody knows him in real life, and his Twitter tone is perhaps not always as effective as he would like it to be.

He is a legal counsel to Senate GOP Majority Leader Phil Berger, and while his work has included defending the legislative districts from legal challenge, it’s not like that’s his full time job. He is not, however, any sort of paid lobbyist for AirBnB or anyone else. He’s just really, really passionate about this stuff. Brent has to some extent invited this sort of thing, but unfortunately sometimes people like David Cox and Stef Mendell find it easier to attack Brent personally over his job rather than to debate his actual ideas constructively.

I’m sure this is entirely a coincidence, but not too long ago our pastor devoted one of his sermons to the importance of civility and kindness on social media.

8 Likes

I’m always interested in reading INDY’s endorsements - and this year I happen to agree with them - but it’s hard to forget that it was only two years ago when they endorsed Stef Mendell over Bonner Gaylord and David Cox over John Odom. They also endorsed Crowder and Thompson, but those two were incumbents running against longshots. I’ll guess I’ll give them credit for coming around on those terrible decisions, but let’s hope this year’s endorsements work out better.

3 Likes

Does it matter who’s behind it? Will you support Mendell, Cox, Russ etc based on who is against them?

@daviddonovan I wish you hadn’t posted that. I have strong feelings regarding Mr. Woodcox, as I imagine many, many people do. In the name of civility, I will leave it at that.

Voter #223. Get going people!

6 Likes

That is where I voted this morning!!!

1 Like

I was voter 219. We must have just missed each other.

2 Likes

I was just #246. Only person voting for the 2-3 minutes I was inside.

Early voting is like a pop up Halloween store. Sure it’s open for 2 months, but everyone goes in the last few days.

1 Like

I’m generally a procrastinator but also hate waiting in lines so I make an exception for early voting. Of course not everyone can work a few blocks from an early voting site and walk over on a GORGEOUS weather day!

2 Likes

I have typically found no lines if I wait until the end of the day and head to the polling place about 30 minutes before they close. In and out in about 5 minutes.

1 Like

Headed down there tomorrow morning when I’m back in town.

2 Likes