Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

religious people tend to do that…tough crowd. dog whistling…really? i delivered oxygen and wheelchairs to people in Raleigh for a while and a guy making 11 bucks an hour said that to people he delivered to.

Another comment was about the slip and slide in Raleigh a few years ago he said that was unique to Raleigh smh, Ahhh no Sir it’s a traveling event that tours alot of cities in the United States, although definitely fun, there is nothing unique, weird are exclusive to Raleigh about it at all,now on the flip side, I actually like Mr Ruth very much just not as my Mayor seriously. I think his Talents would be better served in State politics or he fits me as someone who would do great on a school board, for me its a thumbs down for Mayor.

1 Like

The guy delivering oxygen isn’t trying to get something out of those he’s delivering oxygen to. A politician is trying to get votes. The context is different.

1 Like

some people use it as a common term when parting or after an exchange in some way to impart goodwill or promote christian belief. i was only trying to say that calling it a ‘dog whistle technique’ when it may be a phrase that the candidate grew up with might be a bit premature.

1 Like

I salute MAB & her leadership. Her first year as Mayor, included a 100 year-frequency pandemic, complete shut down of the American economy, armed proud boys in a DTR Subway, riots in our downtown destroying buildings, storefronts and confidence in DTR security. She stands through the immediate & constant condemnation by LR after her election. Since year 1, she withstood a weak recall effort, developed an Office of Diversity & updated the City’s LGBTQ Nondiscrimination Policy - after the GOP’s HB2 delay. I searched Ruth’s website. No mention of LGBTQ+ ANYTHING. Charles Francis 2.0.

Folks, gay Americans are under attack with objective of taking away marriage rights & even the legality of gay sex (per Clarence Thomas). The Supreme Court is taking Gay Rights cases this term, to turn back the clock.

Why no concern for 10%+ of the city’s citizens, from a Mayorial candidate? Anything? tRuth is a politician, who has chosen his bedfellows.

Aside from city politics, vote & vote smart.

17 Likes

an abduction by the mothership?

There were several interesting 2:00 segments for this council meeting and that certainly was one…

Anyone walking up to Eminem music?

3 Likes

Not this time…/plenty of characters tho

1 Like

No Eminem, but a take on The Police’s “Every Breath You Take” at 38 minute mark.

3 Likes

The public comments during the first hour of this meeting. Epic. I have never ever seen such. It literally takes every breath you take away. SMH. Wow. God bless these people for even serving on the Raleigh City Council.

1 Like

Yep. Seems the Void of Communication is creating a Wave of Discord around policies ‘sprung’ on people Beware. Sarcasm font applies above…

Please understand - I am not defending or bashing any particular person or Council member. It as just a note of realization of how eye popping that whole public comment session was. I have not been a regular attendee and haven’t lived in the City all that long. I have in the past attended more than my fair share of city and county meetings. I can assure you I would not want that job. I am in awe that anyone would want it.

4 Likes

We’re in agreement…
Lots of frustration on display but, to me, much of it is due to changes to the city that are coming regardless and we all (citizens) must find ways to adapt to it. Can’t just bury our heads and wish it we could go back in time. Finding ways to address concerns and communicate on the reasons development can help ease our growing pains is needed. Not everyone will like it but more information will help more folks find middle ground instead of vilifying the other side.

2 Likes

Is there a link to watch it? :popcorn:

MAB calls it “Silly Season”

2 Likes

Here’s the latest public comment session from Tuesday evening. Two things. Let’s seriously not make fun of these people. It’s just rude. At the same time, some people seriously are upset at this council and the show Parks and Rec really is on to something here.

So with that, take it for what you see.

8 Likes

If anyone would like to make fun of these people, you can save it for a private conversation with me at our next meetup. :wink: (joking)

Seriously though, I’ve only been to one in person meeting, and watched a few online. My first one, I was blown away how accurately Parks and Rec was able to satirize this type of proceeding. Now I just tend to ignore that portion and wait for the public hearings.

1 Like

For sure. I also roll my eyes because public comments on a Tuesday night is clearly a hobby for some people. Yes, free speech and all that but I can’t help feeling that when a small group of people dominate at that podium every Tuesday evening, it probably keeps someone like me away from coming up there and maybe saying a few words.

Thankfully, its not the only way to get in touch with councilors.

6 Likes

District D folks, get these while they’re hot:

10 Likes