Raleigh Elections and Council Overall

I mean I’d be happy if they just made a rule that City Council meetings are for City Council to meet, and they don’t have a public comment portion. And that you’re free to write a letter or send an email to them if you have something to say.

Got mine flying in the yard as well!

1 Like

Was already planning on voting for Jonathan Melton for at-large (again), but his AMA cemented him as such a better candidate overall than nearly anyone else running (since Nicole is not seeking re-election :cry:) - other than perhaps Jennifer Truman. Melton gets the edge since he’s had the experience now, but wow do his answers read like night and day vs Terrance Ruth’s. Melton actually answered questions with clear intent and informed by policy and research. I think if we can keep MAB as Mayor, Melton at-large, and get Jen Truman on the Council, we will be looking pretty good!

13 Likes

District D Jennifer Truman seems like a good candidate as well–she’s for encouraging mix-use development around the city which means denser development around the city. My district, District C, Corey Branch has shown to be a reasonable and rational person when it comes to balancing city growth and needs.

13 Likes

Yes I mentioned her as the other “Good” candidate, but yeah I have no issues with Corey Branch - he’s definitely a meat n potatoes Councilman, which isn’t a bad thing.

5 Likes

You are so right Leo, kind of like on here.

Jenn is exactly the kind of candidate we need. Understands the inner workings of the system. Was explaining to me how the New Bern BRT plan excludes street trees because council wanted to work within existing ROW while adding bus lanes and bike paths, leaving “no room” for trees.
She is single handedly trying to get them added to the plan wherever there is room. Apparently there are reserved budgets at NCDOT for things like street trees but staff have to know how and when to ask for the allocation, or else it just doesn’t make it on the plan or in the budget.

8 Likes

So here’s something interesting from N&O…

Former Raleigh City Council candidate posts photos holding burning political signs

Former Raleigh City Council candidate Zainab Baloch posted and deleted photos on social media over the weekend of herself holding a burning campaign sign of incumbent City Council member Jonathan Melton.

[…]

“Over the weekend, I chose to commit an act of radical resistance to call attention to the colonization of our city perpetuated by actions and inactions of the Mayor (Mary-Ann) Baldwin, Melton and others,” Baloch wrote in a statement after being contacted by The News & Observer.

“Our voice as the people of Raleigh has been attacked and stolen from us by this council. Oppression comes in many forms,” she wrote.

1 Like

Holy crap LOL! If I needed another reminded why I would never want her on the Council.

12 Likes

We want the same team city council

3 Likes

Vote I want mayor Baldwin 1

4 Likes

And to think I considered voting for her a while back. She’s full into the Livable Raleigh crap.

1 Like

…oh how helpful, doing so much for the city. JESUS girl, I thought she was a nicer person than to stoop to this B.S.

1 Like

Just thinking further into this, and I KNOW this wasn’t her intention… but isn’t Melton one of the very few openly gay people in Raleigh city gov’t? Again, I know that had nothing to do with this stunt, but to those that don’t know her and her social stances… didn’t she stop to think about how BAD this could look to SO MANY people? If you didn’t read the article where she states her “reasoning”, you might think she was attempting a damn hate-crime… YIKES Zainab! You’re better than this!

2 Likes

While this is a bit silly, it reminded me that when I moved here in 2004, a couple of my new co-workers would pull over, steal Bush-Cheney signs out of yards and throw them in the trunk. Coming from a place where it’s not popular to put political signs in your yard, that was a new thing for me! Personally, I don’t get the point of putting a sign in your yard anyway.

Oh full disclosure, I hate ALL political campaign signs, regardless of my support for the candidate. They are tacky, ugly, useless, and worst of all… end up sitting there for weeks-months after the election until ending up just becoming litter.

6 Likes

Of course Bush-Cheney had just started 2 wars that would kill roughly half a million people. But Melton approved some rezonings for density in downtown. I guess they’re both pretty awful. :upside_down_face:

(I know that’s not your point; I’m just illustrating that Zainab may be taking things just a bit far.)

9 Likes

Ooof. Bad look.
Sad thing is, the woke mob will praise her for it, but fortunately for Raleigh that is probably a very small number of people. In Portland, this would probably be praised by a few fringe media groups lol.

Edit: Just pointing out that she posted it to IG for a reason. Because she has a base for this kind of criminal level wokeness.

3 Likes

Idk… if the “woke mob” is aware the dude is gay, they might see how un-woke burning a gay man’s campaign sign (and ONLY his campaign sign, SPECIFICALLY :thinking:) looks to the general public… it’s an extremely bad look for someone who prides themselves for their tolerance/progressivism, not to mention the fact that her Twitter/IG/whatever handle is @POLITEchmuslim (emphasis on “polite” is mine)

2 Likes

I despise them as well. I’ve always thought a city ordinance fining candidates for all signs left up 7 days after an election would go a long way.

Get your ass out there and clean it up, or don’t put them up in the first place.

8 Likes