Raleigh Epicenter

The Canes are getting an outdoor game next year. Usually they have some fan fest events surrounding the outdoor games.

2 Likes

There was an aging one in Coconut Grove (Miami), and it was completely ripped apart and reimagined a few years ago. They are completely passé.

I was in college in 2011 when the Canes hosted the NHL All Star game and I remember seeing all sorts of tv personality types out and about downtown. It was cool being at a bar and seeing people from all over wearing various team jerseys. Just thinking about the drinking/dining options on Glenwood South circa 2011 vs 2021 is not even close.

5 Likes

Next season is supposed to be the make-up game from 2020. So probably January or February of 2023.

The 2022 games are:
Minnesota Wild vs. St. Louis Blues at the Twins stadium (Winter Classic)
Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Nashville Predators at the Titans stadium (Stadium Series)

Are they going to call ours the ‘slushy classic’

1 Like

In 2014 they held an outdoor game at Dodgers Stadium in Los Angeles with it being 63 degrees at puck drop. We should be fine.

5 Likes

I know we get some freak 70 degree days in January (and today) but I remember them having one in LA not too long ago. I know it’s not exactly a winter wonderland over in LA in January, like here, so I think the Canes/Carter Finley can pull it off

1 Like

Sonic will be the primary sponsor. :slight_smile:

Yeah I’m sure it can be done with enough cooling. Just joking.

Let’s hope if the Canes win, fans don’t decide to “rush the ice”. It didn’t go too well for a State fan after beating Carolina Friday night, who broke his leg. It’s easily a 10-12 foot drop.

1 Like

I frequented Cocowalk in the mid-90s as a teenager, but it lost it’s appeal as I started to prefer more authentic experiences as a young professional (e.g. Scotty’s in the Grove and Fox’s Lounge [RIP to both] and Bougainvilleas in South Miami). I can’t even imagine thinking about going to a Cocowalk type place now that I’m, ahem, a couple decades older! Ew!

Speaking mostly for myself, but I’m sure plenty of others agree, for those of us who came of age with Wet Willie’s, Hard Rock Cafe and Planet Hollywood, I’m over the dining-as-marketing format and prefer authenticity. Give me an organically formed entertainment district, not a contrived one.

3 Likes

That reminds of a couple years ago when State beat Duke in basketball and that guy in a wheelchair almost died at the bottom of a horde of people running onto the court.

He survived thanks to CJ Leslie though.

2 Likes

I was at that game, the student body president actually pushed him out there.

1 Like

Yeah this (Gottfried era) was right after I graduated. I had to suffer through the Sidney Lowe days and didn’t have many of these basketball moments to worry about.

Damn am I old. When I was at State, Sidney was a player!

4 Likes

If you haven’t been there in a while, you wouldn’t even recognize it.
Now:

Before:

6 Likes