Raleigh Epicenter

Saw this today and thought I’d throw it up here. I know people from time to time mention Raleigh needs an ‘epicenter’ type development, but looks like the one in Charlotte has foreclosed.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2021/12/01/bank-will-foreclose-on-charottes-epicentre-by-spr.html

It’s a great concept but I don’t think it really ever figured out what it’s identity was supposed to be.

3 Likes

Agreed. Nearly everything in there was a chain of some sort (and not particularly exciting chains), so there wasn’t really any sort of draw to it. Plus it looked pretty dated the last time I visited.

3 Likes

Epicenter in Charlotte had a few good years but there was a lot of crime and the development was cheap looking.

Good idea, bad execution.

10 Likes

It was mostly cheap, drunk food haha but in the middle of huge towers with high end workers. Just a little weird.

If we got something like that I’d hope for more local flair and more of a shopping component with all the entertainment as well.

4 Likes

Last time I was there was 2015-ish and I grabbed some drinks/food at Blackfin. Had a Hibernian-pub vibe, which wasn’t too bad.

I agree, it was a good idea in theory. Literally across from the Hornets arena and all the downtown hotels. Will be interesting to see if any developer tries to do anything with it as it definitely has potential in such a high traffic area.

Wasn’t the initial plan for Epicenter to be much bigger/grander than what actually was built? IIRC, it was started then the 2008 recession hit and only the base was started at that point. A hotel was later added, but was still a much watered down version of the original vision. I always liked the idea and wished we had something similar in DTR, but the execution and timing just didn’t work out for it.

1 Like

I think Epicenter-type developments are on the way out overall. Most people are favoring local establishments over chains (which actually works in DTR’s favor, as we’ve noted that it’s not particularly chain-heavy) and the retail component is going the way of the dinosaur at lightning speed.

This has been happening everywhere. The Rouse-era retail/dining destinations, like Harborplace in Baltimore and Pier 17 in NYC, are also completely re-imagined or on their last legs.

7 Likes

That wouldn’t surprise me if there were much grander plans pre-2008. I do think I remember some funny business about the hotel too. Feel like there were a bunch of lawsuits involved there.

Didn’t help that it looked like the interior of a dated mall and the courtyard was narrow also it’s downtown Charlotte–corporate and stale. It’s not exactly lined with great bars and restaurants, NoDa and Southend have zapped all the nightlife away from downtown Charlotte. Heck, tower development in DTC has cooled a bit as developers work on Southend projects instead.

8 Likes

Epicenter is the old version. Smoky Hollow is the new version.

3 Likes

And nexus block will be the fancy version?!

1 Like

Hopefully minus the foreclosure, unfulfilled vision, and of course the stabbings/shootings :smiley:

1 Like

Crime, the pandemic and the Emerging Southend district killed Epicentre along with alot of the sizzle of Uptown period, I’m not taking a Jab at Charlotte but Uptown punches waay below its weight considering it’s size they have nothing like Glenwood South as far as sheer mass of clubs and bars in one location, now I know citywide Charlotte has alot more,but I was in Uptown a few months ago and wasn’t super impressed, I then went to the Southend district and its was alot more lively its definitely on the rise as a Entertainment and business district .

2 Likes

Omg lol ! You read my mind, I put a similar comment out.

What makes Smoky Hollow different (better) is how it expands the urban nature of its context by connecting to its neighbors, not turning its back on them. While it provides parking for those who come by car, it doesn’t do so at the expense of those who come by foot. Phase 2 in particular engages the sidewalk on the perimeter with storefronts that face the community. I suspect that future phases will do the same. IMO, the biggest “mistake” so far at SH is having Publix face Peace instead of Johnson, but I know that Publix controlled the decision. I would venture to say that if Publix fully understood the context of the overall project better and how it weaves into the greater Glenwood South neighborhood, they might make a different decision today.

9 Likes

When and if the Deveraux Meadows park is built, Publix will open up to it quite nicely.

3 Likes

I also think the Creamery with the woonerf design will be a mini version of epicentre but will blend into the booming and vibrant Glenwood South district.

4 Likes

I am whole heartedly rooting for Smoky Hollow’s success, as I think it’ll have a knock on effect on the whole downtown core for sure. I am imagining how Glenwood South will look with a completed SH, Creamery, Madison development, and Devereux Meadows. That will most definitely be an 18+ hour district with a little something for everybody.

Not to change gears, but I wholeheartedly think the city of Raleigh should shoot for another NHL All-Star game or something like an EPL Fan Fest. Not sure if you watch much English Premier League soccer, but throughout the season NBC hosts ‘Fan Fests’ in various cities and it’s a nationally televised, highly publicized block party. I imagine the Hollow would be perfect for something like this or for an All-Star game and all the media along with it. Here’s some highlights of the 2019 Fan Fest in Boston. A soccer hungry market like Raleigh would be absolutely perfect for something like this and finally show off a fun side of Raleigh to the world. Sorry if I’ve combined the sports, Raleigh branding, and however many other many threads with this post :laughing:

7 Likes

Yeah, the “urban entertainment destination” was a fad in the 2000s. Having seen the remains of several, I’d hazard that they never caught on because, as Jane Jacobs says, “new ideas need old buildings.” Shiny, expensive new buildings (with a single broker in charge of merchandising) aren’t well suited for short-lived nightlife businesses that chase fickle fads.

3 Likes