Raleigh Fire Headquarters and Central Fire Station

This project would also have some extra space and height for citywide fire department administration and offices.

5 Likes

City’s project website now says the project is on hold indefinitely: https://raleighnc.gov/projects/fire-headquarters-and-station-1-replacement

Whenever it starts back up, wonder if they could add more uses to the project to take advantage of the location? Check out this one in DC.

9 Likes

If that’s an active fire station I think I would avoid booking a room there. That has to be a former station that the architect respected in the design.

2 Likes

Nah, its active. Lots of soundproofing engineering involved with the project.

2 Likes

I would not stay there, I’m sorry

I mean, okay, whatever. No different noise than the Nash hotel basically across the street from Fire Station 1. But I doubt the City of Raleigh to be forward thinking like this anyway.

2 Likes

I imagine the noise levels would be about the same as a hotel across the street from a hospital, and that’s a pretty common sight. I wouldn’t mind. Plus pretty much every major city has at least a few fire stations stuck under tall buildings (pretty much the only option in places like Manhattan), so it can’t be that much of a problem, in theory.

Anyway, I’m wondering if they could work it into the master plan of the Raleigh Civic Campus somehow. Maybe on the backside facing Morgan, since I believe they’re planning to replace that garage eventually. Just a thought.

3 Likes

It’s not just the noise from a siren. If the fire engines are idling for any length of time you can feel the vibration and unless you have the shades closed all of the way you can see the flashing lights. I Spend about 100+/- nights a year in hotels and this type of arrangement is one my company would avoid. No thanks.

1 Like