Raleigh Greenway Plan Update

I mean technically Transfer / Roshambo are off the Little Rock > Walnut Creek Trail

4 Likes

Itā€™s not directly off the NRT, but the NRT connects with the Mingo Creek Trail, which gets you almost all the way to downtown Knightdale and Oak City Brewing. Once trail closures are lifted near Clayton, the trail will take you all the way to downtown Clayton and Deep River Brewing. (I realize that may be farther than some folks want to cycle.) As for restaurants, yeah, there are a bunch. You can bike right up to the State Farmers Market, which has a good seafood restaurant, of course, and obviously Iā€™m sure you know how short of a detour it is through Caraleigh from the Walnut Creek Trail to Trophy Brewing.

5 Likes

Iā€™ve biked to Riverwood from Crabtree (about 25 miles one way). Not sure if I want to do more than that. I thought about taking the ebike to see if I could make it to Clayton and back. I donā€™t necessarily want to add that much more travel time, however range might be an issue.

Iron Oaks/Sost are pretty much off it (if you include the Greenway leg off the main strip).

Raleigh Brewing company is also right off or Brickhouse, Lucky Tree, Jasmin, and Gym Tacos.

1 Like

I posted this yesterday in the Linear Parks thread. Looks like this is something the planners are envisioning.

2 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Iā€™m an urban biker and have no problem biking surface streets to access all of DT Raleigh, but was just curious if there were any ā€œhiddenā€ spots that can be accessed right off the greenway without going on surface streets.

When Park City South is complete, hopefully with a pedestrian bridge over the Rocky Branch connecting to the greenway, Iā€™m guessing that will be the first of itā€™s kind for Raleigh. Direct Bar/Restaurant access from the greenway.

8 Likes

Up further along the Neuse River trail is a brewery called Heyday. Its has good food and drinks and it also has good outdoor seating for nice weather days. It is near Riverbend park.

5 Likes

Thatā€™s right, I remember finding that one on google maps once while biking the neuse river trail.

Definitely car-dependent suburban sprawl ā€œmaster plannedā€ place, but Iā€™m happy to see bike lanes and a bike rack adjacent to this brewery which at least addresses the sidewalk instead of having parking between the street and business.

11 Likes

Looks like Carrboroā€™s Vecino has a side entrance onto a short connector trail. The future Durham Rail Trail would be pretty epic for this setup, but none of the existing breweries in that area back up to the trail.

Trail-facing breweries are a common occurrence along rail-trails (e.g., Charlotte, DC, Loudoun County) since thereā€™s often leftover industrial zoning lining the trail ROW. (Since breweries are space-intensive and capital-intensive production uses, they tend to start in industrial locations even though theyā€™re permitted in commercial areas, too.) But since Raleighā€™s trail network is based around stream valleys, its trails tend to go through backyards rather than behind industrial areas. Even when the valleys do go past industrial areas, they tend to be set far back given the floodplain.

9 Likes

i rode to johnston county one time on it about two years ago and i cant recall easy access or signage

They technically do, but itā€™s gravel and doesnā€™t really interact with the trail very well (the Cats Cradle entrance is back there too, so Iā€™ve spent a lot of time standing in lines and watching friends smoke cigarettes back there lol).

Craftboro Brewing might be a slightly better example. You can bomb down the Robertson Bike Path, which will spit you out in a little residential neighborhood. They actually have those foldable yellow bollards on the road between the houses and the shopping center on Purple Leaf Pl, so itā€™s essentially bike/ped access only from that direction. Craftboro even has covered bike parking out front.

Still not on the same level as the Atlanta Beltline, but itā€™s the best greenway/brewery interaction I can think of in the Triangle.

5 Likes

Best topic I could find for this, and I wasnā€™t sure if it deserved its own topic since itā€™s so far from downtown.

Got an email this morning from city staff regarding Neuse River Park, a proposed park near Wakefield that is being funded by last yearā€™s parks bond:

Good morning,

Iā€™m Emma Liles, and Iā€™m excited to be leading the upcoming 2022 Parks Bond Referendum project at Neuse River Park! Our team is hard at work on the pre-planning phase, and I wanted to give you a sneak peek at whatā€™s to come.

First up, weā€™ll be conducting a Situation Assessment for Neuse River Park. This analysis will help us determine the best way to proceed with the project and engage the community in a collaborative process. As part of this effort, weā€™re forming a Community Advisory Group (CAG) to ensure that everyoneā€™s voices are heard. The CAG is a membership-specific committee that provides oversight of the project planning process and serves as an effective information channel between the planning agency and the community. One of the most important aspects of this project is ensuring that the planning process is inclusive and equitable.

Weā€™re currently seeking CAG members and would love to have you or someone you know involved. More information can be found at https://publicinput.com/w3165. Weā€™d also appreciate your help spreading the word about this project by sharing the website (Neuse River Park Planning Process - PublicInput).

If you have any ideas or suggestions for key community stakeholders we should reach out to, please donā€™t hesitate to email me directly at emma.liles@raleighnc.gov.

Thanks for your interest in Neuse River Park! I canā€™t wait to see the positive impact this project will have on our community.

Best regards,

Emma Liles

This park would essentially surround the existing Neuse River Greenway trailhead and canoe launch at Falls Lake Dam. It doesnā€™t look like theyā€™re far enough along to have a site plan, but the Pre-Development Assessment Plan did reference a 2011 feasibility study that proposed turning this segment of the river into a whitewater park. Iā€™ve included a map outlining the property and a rendering from that old feasibility study below in case you donā€™t feel like digging through the documents.

I havenā€™t dug around enough yet to determine if they do have anything specific in mind for this property, but it will be interesting to see what they come up with.

13 Likes

Cool! Iā€™ve floated the river from there and lets just say itā€™s a blank canvas right now.

1 Like

Iā€™m kind of surprised by that given the success other cities have had with that kind of development. Crabtree Creek between Wake Forest and Atlantic would do especially well with that if that part of town ever gets built out.

In Greenville SC the Swamp Rabbit Trail is literally the lifeblood of several commercial hubs. In Raleigh if youā€™re not paying attention itā€™s easy to forget almost all of the trails are connected to each other.

Maybe Iā€™m especially ignorant and the plans already exist but is the city connecting Crabtree Creek trail and Walnut Creek inside of 440?

11 Likes

Yeah those Greenville trails are awesome the way they connect everything. Loved that area.

2 Likes

im not sure, but would this diminish more of the ā€˜naturalā€™ growth near the tailrace area than exists nowā€¦if that would be a bad thing anyway?

In case anyone wanted an update, this part of the Walnut Creek trail (Rock Quarry to Sunnybrook) is still not open - the closure date was pushed from May 2023 to October 2023. I reached out to the project contact but havenā€™t heard back yet.

5 Likes

Heard back today. A section of the boardwalk on the greenway needs to be replaced, which was the cause of the additional delays.

5 Likes

Half of the new Crabtree Creek West Trail is now open

Went by there today and got a few pictures:

28 Likes

It even has a roller coaster!
:roller_coaster:

7 Likes

I thought that was a flume for the local gold miner water supply.
:man_shrugging:t3:

3 Likes